Flyrig - Helix stomp a viable option?

What's Hot
paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
Hi guys

I have some fly dates this year and I was originally looking at the tech 21 Flyrigs (especially with the V2 on the horizon) but the Helix stomp seems to offer so much more for not much extra cost. How do you think they compare? If I wanted to add any more than 2 foot switches would it have to be done with MIDI with a pedal like the Morningstar MC6? 

Cheers

Paul
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I’ve gigged my Stomp with no extra switches so it’s certainly viable. iIf I was planning on gigging it regularly instead of my usual Helix I’d probably add an external 2 button switch for patch change purposes.
    I’ve had a couple of the T21 Flyrigs and whilst I broadly like them there’s no comparison to the full blown Helix modelling in my opinion. If simplicity is your game then a Flyrig might be a better shout.
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    Thanks for the info @simonk. I’m new to the helix so making sure it’ll do what I want, but if I’m correct you can either assign pedals to stomp mode, change presets or snapshots. And as I understand a snapshot keeps things like delay and reverb trails where changing preset doesn’t.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There are a few different ways to configure the Stomp buttons... so I use buttons 1 and 2 as up and down, 3 as tuner/tap tempo, holding 1 and 2 down together toggles between preset and snapshot. And that got me through a gig just fine, although I had to make a mental note to toggle from preset to snapshot mode before the beginning of a song.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664

I've recently done 2 gigs with the Stomp and it worked a treat. I have my 3 snapshots set up, and use my Morningstar to then turn on/off the individual blocks if I need to add/take away a drive pedal, or turn on/off delay on the fly.

The only downside to NOT having an external footswitch option, is not having quick access to the tuner as It's not accessible in snapshot mode. If you use the mode where the tuner is active, it takes away one of your footswitches.

The only downside to NOT having an external footswitch option, is not having quick access to the tuner as It's not accessible in snapshot mode. If you use the mode where the tuner is active, it takes away one of your footswitches.

You can have the tuner/tap tempo on button 3 and then use buttons 1 and 2 to scroll up or down through snapshots or presets. Seeing as you’re limited to 3 snapshots anyway I figured it was no bother using the scrolling method as you’re only ever going to be one button press away from your next snapshot ie if you’re on snapshot 1, it’s one up for 2 or one down for 3 etc etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I just bought one exactly for the same reason.
    There's no backline amps and my board, although small, it's a little too big to carry on my baggage and I would need an extra amp/cab sim.
    I'm planning on doing everything I need with an aditional 2 button aux switch.
    We'll see. Should be here next week.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    simonk said:

You can have the tuner/tap tempo on button 3 and then use buttons 1 and 2 to scroll up or down through snapshots or presets. Seeing as you’re limited to 3 snapshots anyway I figured it was no bother using the scrolling method as you’re only ever going to be one button press away from your next snapshot ie if you’re on snapshot 1, it’s one up for 2 or one down for 3 etc etc
    I never knew this....cool. Need to have a look at how to get that set up :)