Adding Weight to Headstock

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
I know that some people add weight to headstocks for tonal reasons. My reason is different, it's that the guitar has "body dive" or I mean, the body is heavy and wants to slide down that way. I think it might be partly how thin the neck is.

I know people use clamps like the fender fat finger.

Any other suggestions for something a bit more stealthy?

It's a Les Paul.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Grover Rotomatics, if it doesn't already have them.

They also have the benefit of being very good tuners.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited March 2019
    According to Paul Reed Smith, ideally you should have minimal mass at the headstock but opinions vary, id just buy a decent strap tbh
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Probably a good suggestion but my guitar already has quite expensive replacement tuners on it so couldn't justify buying different ones even if they are heavier.

Ever heard of any mods like a bit of metal that could be screwed in or anything?

Any cheap DIY version of the fat finger that I could get in B&Q for a couple of quid or anything?

I've put a capo and a clipon tuner on the headstock and, unless I'm imagining it, seems to help the problem despite not having that much weight between them.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    How about a fret wrap with fishing weights sewn into it?
    Maynehead said:
    How about a fret wrap with fishing weights sewn into it?
    It's an idea!
    sweepy said:
    According to Paul Reed Smith, ideally you should have minimal mass at the headstock but opinions vary, id just buy a decent strap tbh
    Is that like cork-sniffing tonal theory or for a more practical reason?

I don't use a strap at all, I always play sitting down.

I'd absolutely sacrifice microscopic subtlety of tone or sustain etc. to make it sit more comfortably like a Strat does for example.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited March 2019
    You could buy a Van Eps damper if you really want but still buy a decent grippy strap, 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Fathead plate

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    You could buy a Van Eps damper if you really want but still buy a decent grippy strap, 
    That looks interesting.

Looking at it has made me wonder if some kind of metal truss rod cover could provide the weight, or even put some kind of weight (like the aforementioned fishing weight) under the truss rod cover.

I remember being interested in a "string butler" but giving up because the guitar stays in tune pretty well anyway. I'd imagine they'd be intended to be as light as possible but wonder if they would add a significant amount of weight.
    edited March 2019
    sweepy said:
    According to Paul Reed Smith, ideally you should have minimal mass at the headstock but opinions vary
    Purely a matter of taste. In my experience a lighter headstock produces a more focused midrange tone, and a heavier one a deeper more open tone. Given the choice I prefer a heavier one.

If there is any difference at all...

(In my opinion there is.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Fathead plate

Oh wow that looks ideal!

I hope it goes on the back of the headstock rather than the front?

Do you happen to sell them?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Swap the Les Paul for an SG.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934

:)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    Ive heard having weight on the headstock can change to tone of a guitar but to be honest i dont really believe it.
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Let's ask Allan Holdsworth what he thinks...

Image result for allan holdsworth
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Milk said:
    Ive heard having weight on the headstock can change to tone of a guitar but to be honest i dont really believe it.
    I'm certain that it does, not just because I'm pretty sure I can hear it, but because there's a simple physics mechanism which means that it should - it will change the resonance of the neck, which is a major component in the sound of a guitar.

But...

How much difference is necessary before it becomes noticeable to the player?

How much difference is necessary before it becomes audible to a listener?

I'm not sure that those are anywhere near the same.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    thegummy said:
    Fathead plate

Oh wow that looks ideal!

I hope it goes on the back of the headstock rather than the front?

Do you happen to sell them?
    They go on the back, and are discontinued AFAII.  The used ones I saw a while back were all north of £200
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Cut some roofing lead into strips and stick it to the back of the headstock with those sticky fixers. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I'm not following this.  Are we saying, you get eg a heavyish metal clamp, screw it onto the headstock, and the sound coming out the speaker sustains longer and changes tone?

I think that's what you're talking about, and I'm not saying you're wrong, I just never heard of this.

That Fender clamp thing is titchy, I'm sure B&Q could do a lot better for a fiver?