Wide range humbuckers?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
edited March 2019 in Guitar
Just trying to decide whether to keep my Jazzmaster build traditional, or go for a jazzblaster with WRHB's. I Iike the idea of a beefed up Fender sound. How do they compare to PAF's sound-wise and do they hit the amp harder? PAF's are a bit hot for me. Where can I try some out? The Fender ones aren't right, so I'd go with one of the great pup makers on here. Maybe see if Coda or someone has a guitar with Lollar Imperials on maybe?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited March 2019
    Do you mean proper CuNiFe WRHB's, or the modern copies that don't really nail the sound of the originals?

The real deal is clearer than a PAF and IMHO more dynamic.
    They take dirt pedals really well without sounding 'metal'.

I don't think the modern Fender 'WRHB' sound nearly as good- I am not familiar with any other manufacturers attempts though, except for Telenator, who used CuNiFe magnets. They are excellent too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Lebarque said:
    I Iike the idea of a beefed up Fender sound. 
    In that case, in my opinion, Fender Wide Range humbuckers are not the answer for you.

It is possible to purchase "beefed up" Jazzmaster style pickups. 

The simplest way to keep your options open would be to route for regular humbuckers. That way, you can probably purchase exactly what you want and retain the option to change it, if necessary, in the future.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    edited March 2019
    octatonic said:
    Do you mean proper CuNiFe WRHB's, or the modern copies that don't really nail the sound of the originals?

I don't think the modern Fender 'WRHB' sound nearly as good- I am not familiar with any other manufacturers attempts though, except for Telenator, who used CuNiFe magnets. They are excellent too.
    The '70s WRHB CuNiFe pickups are a lovely, lovely thing and the guitars they come attached to are stupidly priced. Some of the '70s Tele Deluxes I played when I was searching were a bit dodgy - in the sense that they were being portrayed as "original" (for pricing purposes) and displayed signs to me that this just was not true. 

Clearer than a P90, balanced tone, hotter yet easy enough to turn down. 

The pickups Fender use inside their current WRHB cases sound like generic humbuckers and nothing like a proper WRHB. 

As some may remember, I ended up buying a MIM Tele FSR, changing the wiring for a '70s-style loom from MojoTone and a pair of WRHB pickups from Jaime at The Creamery. The magnets are not CuNiFe, but the sound is the sound of a '70s WRHB to my ears. I'm very happy with sound I'm getting from it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/429v923ceg5evii/IMG_2287.JPG?raw=1

Edit: As FunkFingers has written - it's going to be a WRHB sound, not a beefed-up single coil sound from a Strat or a Tele. Lovely, but you do need to try one. Maybe start your research with a proper '70s Fender at one of these vintage guitar shops and see if you like the sound? 

Thom Yorke and Graham Coxon have both been seen onstage with Tele Deluxes from time to time. That may work for you or repel you!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2380
    A friend of mine's just got a WRHB from Jaime at the Creamery - says it's very open, different to a typical humbucker but still takes gain well when required.
    Tim
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8791
    The new Fender WRHBs are, apparently, simply normal sized HBs encased in a crap ton of wax and larger housing. Fundamentally different beasties from the original 70s versions.

https://imgur.com/a/tucvcoK
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    octatonic said:

The guy, who made Telenator pickups, stopped producing them about a year ago. I bought a pair of his CuNiFe pickups in early 2017, and I know that his health was poor at that time, and he told me he wouldn’t be ble to carry on much longer.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    octatonic said:

The guy, who made Telenator pickups, stopped producing them about a year ago. I bought a pair of his CuNiFe pickups in early 2017, and I know that his health was poor at that time, and he told me he wouldn’t be ble to carry on much longer.
    I bought a set from him too, right at the start of when he was doing it- I think 2008.
    He is/was a poster on TDPRI.
    They closed down at the end of 2017- CuNiFe was just too hard to get.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    octatonic said:
    No, that's not practical. Would go for a repro from one of the excellent builders on here.
    Lebarque said:
    I Iike the idea of a beefed up Fender sound. 
    In that case, in my opinion, Fender Wide Range humbuckers are not the answer for you.
    Why not?

Clearer than a P90, balanced tone, hotter yet easy enough to turn down. 

Edit: As FunkFingers has written - it's going to be a WRHB sound, not a beefed-up single coil sound from a Strat or a Tele. Lovely, but you do need to try one. Maybe start your research with a proper '70s Fender at one of these vintage guitar shops and see if you like the sound? 

Thom Yorke and Graham Coxon have both been seen onstage with Tele Deluxes from time to time. That may work for you or repel you!  :)
    Clear and balanced sounds good. What IS the WRHB sound then?! Trying a vintage one sounds like a good idea. Love Radiohead!
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    edited March 2019
    You can get a WRHB that fits under a modded Jazzmaster cover, so no need for any routing etc. Mojo do one.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8791
    Where are you? I’m currently the custodian of a 1972 Thinline with the real McCoy in it, if anyone fancies a road test.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    octatonic said:

I've got a set of Mojo WRHB's in my Toronado and think 'clearer than a PAF and IMHO more dynamic' describes them well.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I’ve got a Fender WR I took out of my AV Tele Custom. Swapped it for an old Seth WR. I believe there have been different voicing of Fenders WR reissues over the years. This one sounds excellent. I’m not using it so if it’s any good to you just ask. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    It's hard to describe. WRHB have more crispness in the mids and low end than a regular humbucker even though they have lots of low end. Can be a bit too much for a neck humbucker as a result. Awesome bridge pickups.
    I'd get a bridge WRHB on its own 1meg ohm vol pot and a standard jazzmaster neck on a 250k or 500k pot. 

• I have an original Starcaster. I love it! The neck, the sound, the natural finish... Dream guitar.

Lots of plinky funk from the middle position, warmth from the neck, a nice bit of honk from the bridge...

I always find it hard to discern between guitars but I'd say it's a but rounder and brighter than the '73 Jazzmaster I used to have. No problem driving pedals, no problem clean, no problem with a bit of crunch.

I also feel like they sustain really nicely but I do use compression somtimes so that might be in part due to that.

I haven't done any recording with it but I love the sound of the fat chord at the end of this clip 

That probably doesn't help much but I love it so much I'd like another Starcaster please now thanks immediately cheers.
    JerkMoans said:
    Where are you? I’m currently the custodian of a 1972 Thinline with the real McCoy in it, if anyone fancies a road test.
    Oxfordshire. You?
    It's hard to describe. WRHB have more crispness in the mids and low end than a regular humbucker even though they have lots of low end. Can be a bit too much for a neck humbucker as a result. Awesome bridge pickups.
    I'd get a bridge WRHB on its own 1meg ohm vol pot and a standard jazzmaster neck on a 250k or 500k pot. 

That's a worry. I like an articulate neck pup with no mud or boominess
    I have an original Starcaster. I love it! The neck, the sound, the natural finish... Dream guitar.

Lots of plinky funk from the middle position, warmth from the neck, a nice bit of honk from the bridge...

I always find it hard to discern between guitars but I'd say it's a but rounder and brighter than the '73 Jazzmaster I used to have. No problem driving pedals, no problem clean, no problem with a bit of crunch.

I also feel like they sustain really nicely but I do use compression somtimes so that might be in part due to that.

I haven't done any recording with it but I love the sound of the fat chord at the end of this clip 

That probably doesn't help much but I love it so much I'd like another Starcaster please now thanks immediately cheers.
    Lol, love it!
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Jazzmaster with Tele Deluxe pickups? 
    Better put it in some dischordant tuning, get a drumstick under the strings and play some sonic youth!