Weber MiniMASS impedance question..

equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084

I have a tweed 5e7 clone that feeds  its 4 Ohm output into 3x8 Ohm speakers wired in parallel to produce a 2.7 Ohm load (as per the original Fender design).  I wish to use an attenuator with the amp and have been checking the Weber models.

The Weber MiniMass has a 4 Ohm input..does anyone know if this would be safe to use given the amp's impedance mismatch with its speaker load.. or would I need to opt for a 2.7 Ohm specific model like the THD green Hotplate?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Always match the amp and the attenuator, don't worry about the speaker - the amp sees the attenuator as the load not the speaker, unless the attenuator is almost completely bypassed. So a 4-ohm attenuator is ideal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Thanks @ICBM, I was hoping you might be monitoring the forum  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • The mini mass was the worst attentuator Ive ever owned. Theres an ultimate for sale on here I think. Now thats a grerat piece of kit
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Putting the 32 ohm Ultimate Attenuator on an amp expecting 2.7 ohms is asking for trouble.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I did not like the MiniMass at all either - but the "Ultimate" was at least as bad… mediocre-sounding, poorly built, and I'm not at all convinced that a 32-ohm load is a good idea for anything other than a 16-ohm amp, despite what they say.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I've got a Minimass.  It's very amp dependent. It sounds good with some amps and awful with others.

I'd probably be willing to sell it if you are interested.