Chris Cornell

What's Hot
bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
edited March 2019 in Music
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    G.O.A.T - ..including Freddie
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    The best in my opinion. It's not just the notes he hits but also the control and vibrato. His voice around the time of Badmotorfinger and Temple Of The Dog was just ridiculous.
    Of his later stuff the live Songbook album contains similarly fantastic performances as Fell On Black Days posted here by @bodhi ;
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Last time I saw them I fell asleep.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited March 2019
    I saw SG 3 times (and Audioslave once) incredible band, my all time no 1, as my profile pic suggests, ever since I heard Rusty Cage around 92 or 93. The last time, headlining Hyde Park 2012, it was a great moment to see them back together and reenergised. No they didn’t do over the top stage stuff, just played the hell out of the songs, Kim rooted on the spot doing his thing, Ben prowling stage crouched over ridiculously low bass locked in with Matt.

Cornell did seem moody when I saw them in the 90’s, obviously he wasn’t always a happy bunny. But it seemed like he’d got his shit together and was loving his role as leader of the band and the 2012 performance was epic, it even started raining as they played black hole sun.

His voice was an instrument of awesomeness. Technically, emotionally. Sounds soppy I know and I’m slightly embarrassed saying this but his voice will always be special to me. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I missed him the first time around, but caught some acoustic versions of Fell on Black Days and was blown away... What a voice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    edited March 2019
    Temple of the Dog - some awesome singing on that album. Specifically Reach Down and Say hello 2 heaven
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Sounds soppy I know and I’m slightly embarrassed saying this but his voice will always be special to me. 
    I'm not embarrassed to say that Soundgarden created some songs which hit home unlike anything else I've ever listened to.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited March 2019
    bodhi said:
    Sounds soppy I know and I’m slightly embarrassed saying this but his voice will always be special to me. 
    I'm not embarrassed to say that Soundgarden created some songs which hit home unlike anything else I've ever listened to.
    Nor me, not at all! I don’t mean I’m embarrassed about liking SG or his voice, what I meant was embarrassed being so gushing about someone I’ve never met, as I’m not normally like that, being an emotinally stunted bloke, but, Cornell’s songs and lyrics have been important to me for most of my life.

I’m not good at this posting on forums business. 
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited March 2019
    I totally understand what you are saying, and couldn't agree more.
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3279
    edited March 2019
    only got to see them once, absolute awesome gig, Brixton 1994 Tad supported and after Soundgardens encore Chris Cornell did an acoustic set that was as long as Soundgardens set, brilliant it was and the ticket is deservedly in my 'most amazing gigs ever' photo frame
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 949
    Most musician deaths have some form of impact on me, but mainly on a superficial level and it's often because I didn't always grow up listening to their stuff - but Cornell really did hit me. Grew up with grunge almost from the moment I entered my teens, and Cornell really made an impact across all his work. Soundgarden really influenced my guitar playing and their comeback album was like they'd never been away. Genuinely interesting, creative musicianship and songwriting The first Audioslave album blew me away and I loved the mix of the two bands/artists. He was one of the last of the 'big' voices in rock - very few of them left alive now, but he didn't seem too famous or beyond everyone in a personal sense. 

Genuinely loved him and his death was a huge shame as I felt like, as my friend put it, "he wasn't done yet". Would have loved to hear another Soundgarden album and catch a tour. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  •  @joetele well said. And they had just started on the new album...…

The death of Kurt Cobain had a huge impact on me as an 17 year old, in hindsight mainly as his music helped me get through my difficult depressive teenage years. Nirvana's music for me is of that time, still love it but don't listen to it that often. However as I got older, Soundgarden's music stayed with me increasingly became my main musical influence. As a frontman he had the core elements of the best rock star singers, but took out the cheese and sexism, and added intelligence, introspection, cynicism and empathy. Similarly SG's music seems to avoid too many clichés, it's intelligent heavy metal.

Mind Riot is one of my favourites. Not sure what the lyrics mean, from what I now know it's perhaps it's about Andrew Wood, but that's not important, it's sound and feel of the words is what it's all about. The song was recorded in EEEEEE tuning:

@joetele well said. And they had just started on the new album...…

The death of Kurt Cobain had a huge impact on me as an 17 year old, in hindsight mainly as his music helped me get through my difficult depressive teenage years. Nirvana's music for me is of that time, still love it but don't listen to it that often. However as I got older, Soundgarden's music stayed with me increasingly became my main musical influence. As a frontman he had the core elements of the best rock star singers, but took out the cheese and sexism, and added intelligence, introspection, cynicism and empathy. Similarly SG's music seems to avoid too many clichés, it's intelligent heavy metal.

Mind Riot is one of my favourites. Not sure what the lyrics mean, from what I now know it's perhaps it's about Andrew Wood, but that's not important, it's sound and feel of the words is what it's all about. The song was recorded in EEEEEE tuning:

Totally agreed re Nirvana and Soundgarden - one stayed behind with occasional listens, one remained with me. They seemed to avoid the cheesiness of other bands too - or bands whose sound still remains firmly as it did in the late 80s/early 90s. 

Would have loved to see what their new album sounded like. King Animal managed the wonderful thing of sounding exactly like an older record as well as a new record that pushed new boundaries. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Ian Thornley does a pretty good Cornell scream in this:

octatonic said:

Jesus. That's a terrifyingly close voice to Cornell. 
  • joetele said:
    octatonic said:

Jesus. That's a terrifyingly close voice to Cornell. 

It is, the song is good and similar to SG. Yet it's also useful to highlight the elements that made Soundgarden them. A Soundgarden song would not a have such a perfect, technical solo. Kim's would be wilder, loose, with wah soaked flurries. 'Stay with me for a million days...stay' is the kind of schmaltzy lyric that would not fit a Soundgarden song. As I said though, good tune!

joetele said:
    octatonic said:

:# Jesus. That's a terrifyingly close voice to Cornell. 

It is, the song is good and similar to SG. Yet it's also useful to highlight the elements that made Soundgarden them. A Soundgarden song would not a have such a perfect, technical solo. Kim's would be wilder, loose, with wah soaked flurries. 'Stay with me for a million days...stay' is the kind of schmaltzy lyric that would not fit a Soundgarden song. As I said though, good tune!

Agreed - they're like a more pop-friendly version of Soundgarden (without wishing to sound disparaging) - different enough to stand apart from the crown but also without the little elements that make Soundgarden who they were. Kim's playing could be a bit 'loose' at times  :#
  • Saw him first with Audioslave, then with his solo band with Pete Thorn on guitar (one of the few times I've reached out to do the handshake from the crowd thing), then once again in 2012 with Soundgarden.  An unbelievable voice.  I adore Soundgarden though appreciate that they're not always an easy listen.

I'll admit to still getting choked up over Chris' death when I hear his vocals...  particularly on Black Days, All Night Thing, Hunger Strike or Seasons.  I'm getting that a lot as I get older...  there's something about people, especially those with apparent success, taking their own lives that is particularly hard to stomach.  Keith Flint is just another example; obviously very different from Chris musically and in terms of talent but what a sweet chap behind the stage act!

Also, Big Wreck are the business.  Praying they make it over here at some point to tour the upcoming album (highly unlikely).
    Saw him first with Audioslave, then with his solo band with Pete Thorn on guitar (one of the few times I've reached out to do the handshake from the crowd thing), then once again in 2012 with Soundgarden.  An unbelievable voice.  I adore Soundgarden though appreciate that they're not always an easy listen.

I'll admit to still getting choked up over Chris' death when I hear his vocals...  particularly on Black Days, All Night Thing, Hunger Strike or Seasons.  I'm getting that a lot as I get older...  there's something about people, especially those with apparent success, taking their own lives that is particularly hard to stomach.  Keith Flint is just another example; obviously very different from Chris musically and in terms of talent but what a sweet chap behind the stage act!

Also, Big Wreck are the business.  Praying they make it over here at some point to tour the upcoming album (highly unlikely).
    Hunger Strike always gets me too. And Chris was one that definitely brought tears to the eyes - which doesn't happen often with me in terms of musicians etc passing away. It also brings home the struggle with mental health which myself and many others have faced/are facing. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    I'm listening to Badmotorfinger, for the first time in a very long time.  Fucking hell, it's good.