Telecaster Bridge Query

What's Hot
Hi all. A tele bridge query you might be able to help with. I have a baritone partscaster with a Wilkinson string through bridge, vintage style, with brass saddles. The neck is an Allparts baritone conversion tele neck.
I've been getting a bit of fret buzz to say the least the last few weeks. I know there are many things to take in to account with this.
However I am wondering if it also might be worth putting a modern 6 saddle style bridge on it instead? Would this give more control over correcting intonation etc? Or does it really matter?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited March 2019
    Yes. A six-saddle bridge will be more adjustable for intonation than the vintage style three-saddle type.

Improved intonation adjustment is no guarantee of relieving fret buzz.

Baritone strings exhibit greater excursion than regular guitar sets. Thus, they require more clearance above the frets - both in terms of nut slotting and truss rod adjustment for neck relief. 

It is possible that the frets on the Allparts neck require levelling.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    3 or 6 saddle is unlikely to make any difference to fret buzz.

If you have only been getting the fret buzz recently, and it has been ok in the past, then the first thing to look at is the truss rod.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    A guitar set up can sometimes get complex and beyond my own technical knowledge / abilities (as I have often found) and so you best see a good guitar tech.  

However, in its simplest sense, and for you to get an general idea that will allow you to make minor but effective tweaks to your set-up (which I think is a good thing)

If your open strings are buzzing, and placing a capo at the first fret cures this - you've got nut slots cut too low.

If all your strings are buzzing around the 3-5th frets, then your neck is too flat / convex - and it's likely a truss rod adjustment (loosening) that's required

When you bend strings at the 12th - 14th frets - if your strings 'choke out' you've most likely got low saddles, and will need to raise them.

I hope that's helpful...
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Thanks for the replies. I think the weather has had an effect for sure. A good set up might do it.