Home insurance for guitars

What's Hot
gibbo666gibbo666 Frets: 24
I own a small flat.  Apart from a few personal items (photos, etc) the only real thing of value is my guitar collection, currently about £20,000+ worth.  I've never had home insurance, so before I look at one of the high street offers I thought I'd ask if you guitarists just use normal house and contents insurance, or whether there are more specifically guitar-related insurance offers which are better.

I am too old to gig now, so no worries about taking them out of the house.  However, I do trade quite a bit, so if the policy covered guitars in transit for sale that would be particularly interesting.

Cheers!

Clive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    New Moon Insurance are great, never had to claim but excellent customer service and not overly expensive 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2383
    I have separate home insurance and musical instrument insurance - everywhere I looked, Allianz Musical Instrument insurance seem to be the most popular.
    Tim
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10200
    edited March 2019
    I use Home Protect. I have something like £35k home contents insurance and all my instruments covered, including my 64 Strat for £28/month. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    I use a home content insurance policy and ensure the guitars value is included within the total of all the house contents

Check with the company about nominating specific items above  a certain value - I think providing each guitar is worth less than 5k then I don't need to nominate any specific details - It will vary subject to each company so check on this

Plus check replacement value is at current values - ie you don't want to pay £5k for an LP and find the insurance company will only pay out 3K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Watching this thread. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    We have a new for old policy with our mortgage with single items up to £5k so a guitar or amp etc or indeed many of them would be covered, this covers theft or damage 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Direct line seem to have sensible wording on our policy.  
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2253
    New for old must be just what you want when your "used" 59 Les Paul gets nicked, and replaced with a lovely new "Traditional"...
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    Aviva have assured me that my guitars are covered under their standard home contents cover. 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    Good Idea Clive, what’s your address I will look into for you?  =) ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9277
    If the value of your guitars is lowish, it won’t be an issue. A lot of contents policies have smallish single item limits of £1,500-£2,000. If you have a guitar worth more, it needs to be named on the policy and will cost you extra. The abi recommend £55,000 cover for the average 3 bed home, without any high risk items 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited March 2019
    I used Hiscox for several years as there was no single item value limit, but dropped them this time around as they tried to jack my premium up nearly 40% (I never made a claim whilst with them). I currently have a Home and Contents Insurance Policy with Direct Line Premier, as again there is no individual value limit in regard to my guitars and other music equipment.

• Hiscox and Allianz I recommend
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gibbo666gibbo666 Frets: 24
    Thank you all for your comments.  There doesn't seem to be an outright winner, but I'll get a quote from Allianz, and move on from there.

Cheers!

Clive.

• My guitars are individually identified and valued on my contents policy
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I don't gig at the moment. All of my guitars are registered under the home insurance under dedicated valuable items. Full descriptions, I've got photos of all of them, serial numbers etc. The guitars are worth less than 7k and we have contents up to 40k iirc.
    I think they may be covered outside the house, id have to check the policy. Registered through admiral.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I use a home content insurance policy and ensure the guitars value is included within the total of all the house contents

Check with the company about nominating specific items above  a certain value - I think providing each guitar is worth less than 5k then I don't need to nominate any specific details - It will vary subject to each company so check on this

Plus check replacement value is at current values - ie you don't want to pay £5k for an LP and find the insurance company will only pay out 3K
    ^ This ^
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom