HX Stomp/Helix Unity Gain?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653
    Slimbert said:
    Get yourself an iRig (or a cheap copy) for your iPad. Easiest way to do it with Apple gear.
    I have an iRig, but it’s not compatible with the latest iPad, lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got it sorted guys. My inputs and outputs were already all set to instrument, but I think my
    problem was all the patches I created were obviously not created at unity to begin with and that’s why things were all over the place.

Thanks for all the help :)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    Got it sorted guys. My inputs and outputs were already all set to instrument, but I think my
    problem was all the patches I created were obviously not created at unity to begin with and that’s why things were all over the place.

Whats the solution here then mate ?

To ‘create at unity’ does the physical volume need to be all the way up ?

Whats the solution here then mate ?

To ‘create at unity’ does the physical volume need to be all the way up ?

yes, all the way up is unity. I still had to add some low end on the global eq.

Also, if you're using IR's this adds in another "volume" parameter to be aware of. The Ownhammer one's I have are all set to -18db as standard.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    It's actually quite tricky balancing the absolute volumes of patches  made with different amps imho - lots of places the signal can be cut and boosted .
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    You can just turn the overall patch up or down
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    On the Helix and LT on a blank preset I think unity gain is with the volume knob full up.
    Are you sure bud? I think it increases my signal quite a bit when it’s full. Even if I’m not using an amp block, delays etc all sound far too loud, like I’ve increased them in the mix
    the default mix on most delays is pretty high
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    John_A said:
    How and where can I do this? On the main output block?
  • John_A said:
    I use the amp volume to level my patches. It doesn't effect the response of the amp or the gain like the master volume does.
    John_A said:
    I use the amp volume to level my patches. It doesn't effect the response of the amp or the gain like the master volume does.
    What volume do you mean, if you’re not talking about the master? The one that’s labelled “chn vol”?
  • John_A said:
    What volume do you mean, if you’re not talking about the master? The one that’s labelled “chn vol”?
    Its the volume on the 1st page of the amp controls.
    John_A said:
    Its the volume on the 1st page of the amp controls.
    This is what I was already using, but as @TimmyO was saying, it becomes tricky to match all amp volumes in each patch, and even more so on 3 snapshots where amp gain and volume is increasing/changing.

My issue was definitely because I wasn’t using the physical volume knob consistently. Now that I’ve got it set to full, I’ve got everything sorted. 
    John_A said:
    Yes, on the main output block
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    That setting gets overlooked and is the simplest place to fix patch to patch differences in level, and obv can also be automated within snapshots 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    That setting gets overlooked and is the simplest place to fix patch to patch differences in level, and obv can also be automated within snapshots 

Cool, good to know about this :)

However, as you say, it's just another parameter that would need adjusted throughout snapshots. Well, how I am using the patches anyway.

For instance, I have 4 patches that I usually switch between, and all 4 use different amp blocks. Then within each patch I have clean, crunch and lead snapshots. So, I basically have 12 snapshots that I need to try to align to the same levels.

Add in the fact that I also change guitars during a live set. The Stomp was supposed to introduce a level of simplicity to my life....lol!

^  It is simple.  What you have to remember is you have a box automatically switching between 4 different settings on 4 different amps, how much more difficult would that be in the real world?

For 90% of our set I use a JCM800 model and a few pedals, just like I would in the real world.  If you want simplicity, then dont try and use something complex for the sake of it.

Have said it before, but I would start off emulating your live rig and then build from there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    John_A said:
    ^  It is simple.  What you have to remember is you have a box automatically switching between 4 different settings on 4 different amps, how much more difficult would that be in the real world?

For 90% of our set I use a JCM800 model and a few pedals, just like I would in the real world.  If you want simplicity, then dont try and use something complex for the sake of it.

Have said it before, but I would start off emulating your live rig and then build from there. 
    I have done that to an extent.....I have two amps in my live rig, and I do usually just use the two variants in the Stomp.

I think this thread went off on a wee tangent - not that I’m not grateful for all the info, it’s been helpful as always - but once I got the unity volume thing sussed, I’m happy to tinker with getting my patches all set up for the same volume.

Of course, it’s my own fault for any added complexity, so I’m definitely not complaining about that. I was more just trying to give an understanding of my setup and how I have all these different things to consider :)
    Sorry if I sounded a bit off, think I misinterpreted some of it.  Look on the bright side, the stomp is a lump lighter than two amps ;)