Examples of modulated delay on records?

What's Hot

I have a DOD Rubberneck with has analogue modulated delay with a chorus to warbly effect. Is the pedal recreating a modulated sound of earlier pedals? I'm trying to get my head round using the pedal and I'm not that familiar with using delay and it's history;  it got me thinking, what songs are there which are a good examples of using modulated delay and a good reference point? Was it common as analog on earlier records, i.e. 70's or did it come in more in the 80's with digital effects (The Edge)? What bands are using it these days?  

Any suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    I think the original EHX Memory Man (analogue) was what started it (apart from wow and flutter from Copicats and the like). I think the Edge did use one, but no idea on what records.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    The only one I know of (as the music I listen to doesn't usually have much delay use) is Julian Casablancas' Left and Right in the Dark, although this is a fairly obscure example. I'm fairly sure there must be loads
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2949
    Hillage. He started with a copycat then moved to an echoplex, experimented with stereo delay using tape but moved into modulated delay by using an Eventide Harmoniser. You can hear it on the "L" album.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    @WiresDreamDisasters One of your areas of expertise?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    Andy Timmons uses two EHX MM's in his rig with slightly different delay times. It's all over his stuff.
  • So far as I can tell, modulated delays began with badly configured tape machines. The EHX MM was trying to emulate the effect of tape warble.

Modulated delays are used a lot in the post-rock realm, but I'm struggling to think of any obvious tracks right now.

Bye!

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited March 2019
    First thoughts were possibly Mogwai, There will be Fireworks and perhaps some Boards of Canada.  As Drew says, I always think of post rock when I think of modulated delay
  • I suppose a lot of the more extreme settings that sound cool at home messing around with pedals are not often used by recording artist, where it's difficult to find a suitable application within the song and the need to avoid getting lost in the mix.

Perhaps it's difficult to identify whether a modulated delay effect on record is made by the delay, reverb, other modulation pedal or combination of all. Or by studio effects/racks/daw etc.

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3023
    edited March 2019

How Don't Know Why by Slowdive. The guitars at the intro, is that modulated delay? Or on Slomo (from 1:00) ?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited March 2019
    As has been said adding modulation to analogue delay was probably an attempt to make it more tape like. So, I guess, you could go back to rockabilly or The Shadows.
    Using tape delay as a studio effect is probably most obvious in dub reggae. Almost anything by the earlier dub producers like King Tubby or Scientist will have tape delay manipulation, not necessarily on guitar but in ways that are easy to hear. Mad Professor was an early adopter of rack mount delays doing similar effects. Have a listen to Prince Fatty for something 21st century. 
    Those dub style effects found their way into later reggae and reggae influenced punk like The Clash and The Ruts. Post punk acts dabbled in tape noises like Bauhaus' Bela Lugosis Dead or Holiday in Cambodia by The Dead Kennedys. I suspect if you listen to contemporary bands like Savages who are influenced by Bauhaus, Joy Division and so on you'll hear modulated delay in there somewhere.
    Obviously some very big name rock musicians who used delay and that'll be modulated to some extent although not necessarily in the way a modern pedal might take it further. So, The Edge, Van Halen*, Joe Walsh, ya da ya da.

I suppose a lot of the more extreme settings that sound cool at home messing around with pedals are not often used by recording artist, where it's difficult to find a suitable application within the song and the need to avoid getting lost in the mix.

Perhaps it's difficult to identify whether a modulated delay effect on record is made by the delay, reverb, other modulation pedal or combination of all. Or by studio effects/racks/daw etc.

Tim Pierce who is a session player and YouTubist uses a modulated delay as his default effect and reckons it is on a lot of things. He's hardly cutting edge ( Santana records, awards ceremonies, toothpaste ads, huge recorded CV) so it's in lots and lots of things but, as you say, buried in the mix. 

* IIRC Van Halen used the octave dive technique with delay pedals on a couple of things manipulating the controls to give whammy style effects. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1464
    The very first thing you hear on U2's Unforgettable Fire is a modulated delay