RIP Danny Kustow (TRB)

What's Hot
KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
Guitarist with the Tom Robinson Band plus The Spectres, The Planets, Gen X, Time UK.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Only really remember him from 2-4-6-8 Motorway, but with his distinctive playing style he managed to make quite an impression on my younger self. RIP.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    Very sad. I saw him live with Tom Robinson. It was at the Golden Lion, Fulham IIRC.

It's not a competition.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Heard Tom on his radio show this weekend and he'd been to visit Danny in hospital that morning. He poured compliments on hos life long friend and sent get well messages before playing a track featuring him on guitar.

RIP Danny
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    RIP Danny, loved his raw sound on the early TRB stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    seems someone has turned up the speed on the mortal conveyor belt of 'our' musical past, cos I can remember my Aunt (who died in her 80s over 15 years ago) was made for Des O'Connor and Englebert and those fuckers are still around??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I’ve just learned Danny Kustow has died. I had the privilege of spending some time with Danny and was there at the start of TRB as their first roadie. I answered an add in a shop window of John Beeby’s Music Place in Crouch End and later met Tom at his place in Highgate. Of course I was eminently qualified. After all I was 17, interested in music, owned a leather jacket and more importantly had the use of my mum’s Hillman Minx MkV. Tom invited me that evening to see a band called The American Housewives performing at the Stapleton Hall pub in Stroud Green. During their break Tom stepped up on stage with guitarist Anton Mauve and the Housewives drummer and thunderously performed “Up Against the Wall” and “Motorway”. I and everyone in that pub were blown away. Tom was the business I was instantly hooked, lined and sinker’d. This was it, this was the genesis of TRB. Danny came in when Tom was auditioning for a second guitarist at the Hope and Anchor, islington. There were a couple of guitarists around that time vying for second TRB guitarist. Tom already knew Danny who was ready and eager for the gig and not long after took over as The TRB guitarist when Up Against the Wall Power Chord Anton stepped away. Danny was a beautiful enigma, insecure, self conscious, gullible, gorgeous, sweet and loving. Its true Danny had his demons but on stage he was free of them, magnificent, electrifying, powerful, wild. The stage was Danny’s home, he could be the persona he aspired to be. His Les Paul was an extension of his soul, a counterpoint to Tom’s driving bass lines, he was the TRB’s edge, its punch, so unpredictable and so riveting to watch. Those early days will forever be imprinted and now part of my DNA. I remember driving with Tom and Danny in the Minx on our way to a gig circumnavigating Trafalgar Square, (you were allowed to do that then). Adjacent to us was Mickie Most in a posh Roller. Danny instantly became animated and feverishly excited, wound down the window virtually throwing himself out of the car shouting “Mickieeeeeeee” at the top of his voice. I could see Mr Most out of the corner of my eye looking somewhat aghast and bemused. I could write more as these memories are flooding back to me…I’m so, so grateful to have shared a little bit of time with you Danny. RIP my friend and I will be with you at The Scala on the 29th July.