Comments

• I once found a cock ring in a gig bag that came with a guitar (2nd hand). 

I prefer it when they're boring. 
    thats odd, my wife bought a vibrator that came with a guitar tuner.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    , but yes its black and boring. So boring that your eyes slide off it and your brain slips into neutral.

Was it a Disaster Zone tour model?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Fender Gig bags...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I once found a cock ring in a gig bag that came with a guitar (2nd hand). 

I prefer it when they're boring. 
    Cock-ring or Prince Albert?
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    That's a great point. I'd definitely pay a premium for something interesting. Paisley would be awesome...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Jack_ said:
    Tasty but expensive, that's good hard case money,  plus next month they'll need to charge VAT on top too 
    Paisley would indeed be fabulous.
    I'm also quite partial to cordroy.
    Denim? for all you Quo fans out there?

You can print anything on anything these days.
    Surprised we can't already buy relic'd gig bags! 

This is what sparked my thoughts
    Picture 1 of 4
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    I have one of these, plain but fairly stylish.

I'd definitely spring for a fun design though. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    A gig bag is like a gun sleeve - it is there to do a job. Nothing more than that.  The guitar or gun can be transported just as easily without the gig bag or gun sleeve. Or has the Brexit fiasco created a sub forum type of humour that has not reached our shores yet?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Rocker said:
    A gig bag is like a gun sleeve - it is there to do a job. Nothing more than that.  The guitar or gun can be transported just as easily without the gig bag or gun sleeve. Or has the Brexit fiasco created a sub forum type of humour that has not reached our shores yet?
    Good God you're old
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Rocker said:
    A gig bag is like a gun sleeve - it is there to do a job. Nothing more than that.  The guitar or gun can be transported just as easily without the gig bag or gun sleeve.
    No, it really can't ;). Try carrying a guitar on public transport in a soft cover or even in a hard case if you think so! Let alone with no case at all.

The whole point of a proper gig bag is not only that it protects the guitar, it also makes it far easier to carry by effectively turning it into a rucksack. I use a hard case (Hiscox) for my expensive acoustics, but never for my electric guitars or bass unless they're going into a van.

I'd also really like a more interesting-looking gig bag. I've got one for my ukelele with palm trees on it and turtle zip fobs, something like that for a guitar would be great :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Public transport = gig bag
    Everything else = lightweight hard case
    Gig bags just don't offer enough protection IMHO
    Lebarque said:
    I'm completely happy with one in my car. You just need to put anything heavy like amps in first and lay them flat, then put the gig bags on top. No risk of damage at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    I have two of the reunion blues gigbags. And they are bloody ace. Sort of semisolid.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    ICBM said:
    Lebarque said:
    I'm completely happy with one in my car. You just need to put anything heavy like amps in first and lay them flat, then put the gig bags on top. No risk of damage at all.
    And then you get to the gig, where the drummer accidentally kicks it while setting up... :0)
    Lebarque said:

And then you get to the gig, where the drummer accidentally kicks it while setting up... :0)
    Or you take it in a hard case, put the guitar on a stand and then the drummer kicks that over!

Basically the common link is drummers ;).

I'd be confident about my gig bag surviving being kicked by one anyway. It's already fallen down some stairs with my bass inside... almost certainly less of a risk than in a hard case since there was no real sharp impact, and I wasn't even worried about it. This isn't a cheap bass either, by the way.

A *good* gig bag gives almost as much protection as a hard case - the only real difference is in how well it protects against crushing forces, which is why I wouldn't put a £1K+ acoustic in one normally.

I only ever use hard cases for gigs, which are rare.
    For rehearsals, and popping over to someone's house a gig bag on the back 
    seat does me fine.
    On public transport, I'd guess I'd do gig bag for cheap ones and hard case for precious guitars.
    I'd really like a quality gig bag for my Guild JF65. With case it's just too damn heavy.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    In spite of disagreements from some people I still think gig bags are evil
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself