51 Nocaster neck pickup very quiet. Please advise! *SOLVED

chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
edited March 2019 in Making & Modding
I bought a brand new set of 51 Nocasters and immediately wired them to a push/pull for series switching. I followed some tutorials online showing how to prepare the neck pickup. I carefully removed the wire connecting the cover to the ground wire eyelet and added a new lead to ground the cover.
I finished the job and the neck pickup was very noticeably quieter than the bridge - not even close in terms of output. I then rewired the standard way (first reconnecting the cover to stock), because I thought it might be faulty push/pull. The neck is still very weak. It doesn't sound out of phase, but the bridge pickup is a lot more powerful. Have I damaged the pickup, or is this how Nocasters are supposed to sound?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    I have one (standard wiring) and what you describe is definitely not normal.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited March 2019
    The Nocaster neck/Rhythm position pickup is not many people's idea of a fire breathing beast. (AlNi3 rod magnets and a coil wound to modest d.c. resistance.) Expect a noticeable difference in output compared to the bridge/Treble position pickup. 

1. Did you try the pickup out before modifying it?
    2. Which end of the stock cover ground wire did you disconnect? (I usually undo the end on the metal cover tab.)
    3. Can you take a d.c. resistance meter reading on the offending pickup?
    4. Can you connect the pickup directly to an output jack, bypassing the push-pull switch and test it again?
    5. Into what circuit have the two new pickups been added?
    It is possible that you have affected the solder joint at the eyelet on the fibreboard plate.

It is possible that there has been handling damage to the coil. (The start and finish runs are especially vulnerable.)

It is possible that the magnets have been degaussed. (Strange that the other pickup has not been similarly affected.)

It is possible that some of the controls parts are faulty.

If your T-style guitar originally had a vintage Fender circuit, did you remove the "Bass Tone" network from the selector switch? That would certainly decrease output.

Be seeing you.
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    The Nocaster neck/Rhythm position pickup is not many people's idea of a fire breathing beast. (AlNi3 rod magnets and a coil wound to modest d.c. resistance.) Expect a noticeable difference in output compared to the bridge/Treble position pickup. 

1. Did you try the pickup out before modifying it?
    2. Which end of the stock cover ground wire did you disconnect? (I usually undo the end on the metal cover tab.)
    3. Can you take a d.c. resistance meter reading on the offending pickup?
    4. Can you connect the pickup directly to an output jack, bypassing the push-pull switch and test it again?
    5. Into what circuit have the two new pickups been added?
    It is possible that you have affected the solder joint at the eyelet on the fibreboard plate.

It is possible that there has been handling damage to the coil. (The start and finish runs are especially vulnerable.)

It is possible that the magnets have been degaussed. (Strange that the other pickup has not been similarly affected.)

It is possible that some of the controls parts are faulty.

If your T-style guitar originally had a vintage Fender circuit, did you remove the "Bass Tone" network from the selector switch? That would certainly decrease output.

Thanks. I checked and basically re-soldered everything.It works now. I took care around the eyelet and added a tiny dollop extra for good measure. Seems to have fixed the problem!