Who has a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24287
Mine's just arrived.  Christ - it weighs a bloody ton, and is very unbalanced - very light neck, heavy body.  I don't have any scales that will accurately measure it as it's too heavy for my kitchen scales and too light to register on my digital bathroom scales, so I did a rough estimation based on my weight holding it and not holding it - I've calculated it to be 9.2lbs (4.2Kg).

Mine's also, disappointingly, "Crafted in China".  I thought these were Indonesian ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited March 2019
    I had one. It was indeed a heavy beast. Pretty sure all the classic vibes have always been made in China. Why should it be disappointing anyway if you’re happy with the build quality?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Nope they have always been Chinese

The 50's one is Pine isn't it?

That should be quite light.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12345
    I had a neck temporarily on my partscaster, I don't remember it being any lighter than the allparts that I replaced it with.  Are the bodies on these pine?

I understood fender produce from china, mexico, japan and US but I don't know that for a fact.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24287
    Yeah, it's supposed to be pine.  As for China, I dunno.... it's personal preference thing.  An awful lot of stuff is made in China these days and a lot of it, electronics in particular, is great.  I just think it looks a bit shit on a guitar headstock though ! :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Emp_Fab said:
    Yeah, it's supposed to be pine.  As for China, I dunno.... it's personal preference thing.  An awful lot of stuff is made in China these days and a lot of it, electronics in particular, is great.  I just think it looks a bit shit on a guitar headstock though ! :-)
    Who's going to be checking where it's made?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    i have one and i love it , never found it overly heavy though, i will weigh it tonight and let you know 

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    I had a Squier CV 50's Tele. It had a pine body and weighed 4.1kg. I thought I would grow used to the big chunky neck but in the end I didn't so I sold it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Whistler said:
    I had a Squier CV 50's Tele. It had a pine body and weighed 4.1kg. I thought I would grow used to the big chunky neck but in the end I didn't so I sold it.

Erm the necks on the CVs are about as skinny as they come for a Tele...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Whistler said:

Agreed, very skinny indeed
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Emp_Fab said:
    Mine's also, disappointingly, "Crafted in China".  I thought these were Indonesian ?
    The Standard and Vintage Modified series are from the Cort factory in Indonesia. Before that got involved, the Standard series was Korean.

If it is any compensation, I have a Squier VM Telecaster Custom II. This model takes its Seventies design inspirations to their illogical conclusion by weighing almost as much as a Fender CBS-era instrument. D'oh!

monquixote said:
     the necks on the CVs are about as skinny as they come for a Tele...
    The skinniest neck that I have ever seen on a vintage-looking Telecaster was the Squier JV '52. It was nice but wrong.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Whistler said:

Having sold it I cannot take any new photos of it. This is the best I can show you. The Tele was bought new in 2009. Maybe they have changed since.

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    I’ve had my CV Telecaster for a few years. It’s made in China but some of the more recent Squier guitars seem to be made in Indonesia.  The body is pine and the maple neck is quite thin. The pickups sound great and the guitar is really quite light, after a couple of years the jack socket cup came loose due to the fixing claw chewing up the soft pine but it was a simple fix , I just rotated the claw a few degrees so that it could dig into new wood and re-tightened it. Altogether an excellent little guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve just weighed it again.... it’s now 10lbs!!  The bloody thing is growing!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    My cv was super light.  It has a new neck on it now cause the old one was just so damn skinny.  
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Not as heavy as a MiM I used to own
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I had one and it was a bit heavier than my MIM Classic 50's.
    I once bought a Classic 50's body on ebay that was really heavy! Probably heavier than my whole guitar!
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    CV line has been made in China since introduction until this year. They have moved production to Indonesia to time with the expanding if the range.
    I don't think any of the new range announced at NAMM are in the shops yet so no doubt all current stock will be Chinese.
    As to weight they have always varied widely (much like the other much vaunted Tele, the 50s Baja). The first runs were very light then they started getting heavier, probably due to Fender no longer paying for light wood once the line was established. Obviously if weight is an issue for someone they are taking a chance buying untested online.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    CV line has been made in China since introduction until this year. They have moved production to Indonesia to time with the expanding if the range.
    I don't think any of the new range announced at NAMM are in the shops yet so no doubt all current stock will be Chinese.
    As to weight they have always varied widely (much like the other much vaunted Tele, the 50s Baja). The first runs were very light then they started getting heavier, probably due to Fender no longer paying for light wood once the line was established. Obviously if weight is an issue for someone they are taking a chance buying untested online.
    I’d never buy another Baja Tele on line the one I bought on line a few years ago just after they were first available in Europe was great but was really heavy. After a year or so trying to get used to the weight I gave up and sold it. I’d really like another one but I’ll have to try it first as I don’t want another anchor.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I’d never buy another Baja Tele on line the one I bought on line a few years ago just after they were first available in Europe was great but was really heavy. After a year or so trying to get used to the weight I gave up and sold it. I’d really like another one but I’ll have to try it first as I don’t want another anchor.
    I think you can ask Thomann to send you one around the weight you're looking for. Once asked about that and they said sure but I wanted a B-stock and they could not do it cause B-stock items were not in the shop, IRC.
    If it comes to it, I can always swap the body out for a lighter one.