2019 (Bristol) South West Jam Song List Discussion

What's Hot

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205

I just took a look at the song list.

What comedian pencilled me in for All Right Now? The only bits of that I can play properly on bass are the verses. 
    Legionreturns said:
    3 songs from the existing lust, for me to play bass on, so I have a challenge  
    1. Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin - Punishing eighth notes at 170BPM.
    2. Pump It Up - Costello - Interesting riff. Feel needs to be "just so". Constantly pushes and pulls against the drums.
    3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd - For a bassist, the challenge is to remain awake. Maybe, try it fretless?
    How about @Legionreturns covers the bass part for All Right Now, and @Funkfingers does Pump It Up? 
    And I'll be bringing a fretless bass (tuned D-G-C-F for extra fun) to help @Legionreturns stay awake during Comfortably Numb. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    mart said:
    How about @Legionreturns covers the bass part for All Right Now, and @Funkfingers does Pump It Up?
    Deal.

You do realise that this decision will result in insufferable posing involving a red AVRI '63 P Bass. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    mart said:
    Deal.

You do realise that this decision will result in insufferable posing involving a red AVRI '63 P Bass. ;)
    As long as you have the skinny tie and pink jacket to go with it, that should be fine. :)
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    We now have 8 viable songs (where all roles have at least one name against them): Comfortably Numb, Sit Down, Rocks, My Hero, All Right Now, Motorcycle Emptiness, Teenage Kicks & Born To Be Wild

Be Yourself, Alive and Girl From Mars lack only a bass player

Question for those that know: can we make Pump It Up, You Really Got Me, Ironman & Just Like Heaven work with a single guitarist (as we currently have drums, vox, bass and one guitar for each) or is a second guitarist essential? 

There are still some players yet to come forward with confirmation of the songs they wish to play on and the role they wish to take...

Brocco said:
    can we make Pump It Up ... work with a single guitarist (as we currently have drums, vox, bass and one guitar for each) or is a second guitarist essential? 
    Pump It Up really needs keyboards. Second guitar would be the next best thing. Clean sound, plastered in Leslie simulation or Univibe.

mart said:
    tie
    Ties are strictly for weddings, funerals and court appearances.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Just like heaven could do with some acoustic strummy strum. Five chords :-)
    roberty said:
    I could strum some chords, although it'd be on an electric. Looks easy enough for me. :)
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    songs currently in the relegation zone are: Rock And Roll, Cold Hard Bitch, So Into You, Bad Company, If You Want Blood (You Got It), The Wind Cries Mary, Just What I needed, Get The Funk Out, Symphony Of Destruction, Ace Of Spades & Fire

edited May 2019
    Brocco said:
    songs currently in the relegation zone ...
    The question that we have to ask ourselves is this. Why are some song list nominations in danger of being culled?

The answer lies within this heavily paraphrased exchange of comments from the "Will You Volunteer?" thread.
    robwright said:
    We are there 10-6pm so, giving an hour to setup and the same to pack away, we have 6 ‘usable’ hours from 11-5pm. How many songs do you normally get done at a jam? 
    For a rough guide, 15-20 minutes is ample time to get a recording done, even with 2 or 3 takes. 

... at Sasquatch, We've done 12-15 in a day. 
    Right now, the Bristol song list is too long for everything to get played with the care and attention it deserves.

Brocco said:
    There are still some players yet to come forward with confirmation of the songs they wish to play on and the role they wish to take.
    What he said.

If you want to make certain that a particular song stays on the list of twelve to fifteen, volunteer to participate in it and/or twist the arms of others contribute.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Happy for Symphony of Destruction and et the Funk Out to be taken off to make things easier. I just chose ones I know from my covers band and those are probably over-ambitious to cover in a day, thinking about it. 

Put me down for guitar on Rock n Roll btw, will just need vocals then.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'll have a look at vox, bass and rhythm slots that need filling tonight. If I can usefully help out anywhere I will. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Happy for Symphony of Destruction and et the Funk Out to be taken off to make things easier. I just chose ones I know from my covers band and those are probably over-ambitious to cover in a day, thinking about it. 

Put me down for guitar on Rock n Roll btw, will just need vocals then.
    I'll sing rock'n'roll
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited May 2019
    Brocco said:

Be Yourself, Alive and Girl From Mars lack only a bass player

Question for those that know: can we make Pump It Up, You Really Got Me, Ironman & Just Like Heaven work with a single guitarist (as we currently have drums, vox, bass and one guitar for each) or is a second guitarist essential? 

Ironman works with one guitar, as do all Sabbath songs. The riffs are easy, it's just the order and how many times you play them is a bit tricky. It might be easier with only one guitar and bass to co-ordinate?

Alive - the bass line is easy enough, or just stick to root notes. It's just knowing the arrangement and the two bridges before the last verse that needs learning.

I'm still nervous about doing these two songs, especially the solos! If you want to leave one out, I won't mind, it might take some pressure off. I'm down for Rocks, Just Like Heaven and Ironman+Alive, with Wind Cries Mary looking at relegation. Plenty to be getting on with.

• mart said:
    roberty said:
    I could strum some chords, although it'd be on an electric. Looks easy enough for me. :)

I'll do the electric melody bit plus some additional strumming. For the keyboard solo - I could do nice melodic thing to sound like the record or a rough J Mascis type solo as per the Dinosaur Jr version - I'll leave it up to @roberty  
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Brocco said:

There are still some players yet to come forward with confirmation of the songs they wish to play on and the role they wish to take...

You Really Got Me is fine with 1 guitar :)
    As the song list takes shape, some thought will have to be given to the running order.

It will help the organisers to know:
    • who might have to arrive late due to travelling distance, roadworks or whathaveyou.
    • who might have to depart early for travel reasons.
    • who might wish to have workshop time with Alnico prior to rehearsing and performing. 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    As the song list takes shape, some thought will have to be given to the running order.

It will help the organisers to know:
    • who might have to arrive late due to travelling distance, roadworks or whathaveyou.
    • who might have to depart early for travel reasons.
    • who might wish to have workshop time with Alnico prior to rehearsing and performing. 
    Well, I'm travelling from Huddersfield via Liverpool (to collect @Alnico ) so I definitely won't be there *early*! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Brocco said:
    can we make Pump It Up ... work with a single guitarist (as we currently have drums, vox, bass and one guitar for each) or is a second guitarist essential? 
    Pump It Up really needs keyboards. Second guitar would be the next best thing. Clean sound, plastered in Leslie simulation or Univibe.
    Looking at this, I reckon I could manage the actual guitar part - since that fills in the gap between the singing - but it depends on whether @spark240 was planning to do that, or whether he could manage the keyboard part (or guitar equivalent).
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    I’ll be there for all of it.
    Any info on what the workshops are covering, and when they are? Might help people decide which they’re interested in.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Alnico posted about his workshop idea on page 1 of this Discussion.