Selling Modded Guitar

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
A question to you all - when selling a guitar that has been electronically modded, would the potential buyers always prefer the electronics to be restored to original or would they possibly prefer keeping the mod?

For example, I've changed the switching to add more choices with a 5-way switch rather than 3-way - should I restore it to the original way before trying to sell it?

What about if the schematic was exactly the same but I'd, for example, swapped the cheaper Alpha pots for higher grade CTS pots, would anyone still prefer the original pots to better quality ones doing the same function?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited March 2019
    In my experience it depends on the audience. On here, pots and switch upgrades are generally seen as a positive. Pickups, switching options, trem replacements etc are totally dependent on the buyer. Totally subjective but I, for example, don’t like 4 way switches on Teles and I don’t like 3 way switches on Strats. It doesn’t really really bother me unless you’re not putting a Warpig humbucker in 60’s ES175. 
    On eBay, people tend to prefer bone stock guitars. This is possibly because people that only sell on eBay do things like “convert” a 7 string to a 6 string by just swapping the nut, or replacing the middle pickup on a guitar with a sausage and other such idiocies. 

Golden rules:
    Keep any parts you remove.
    Don’t fuck about with vintage guitars unless a part is so old it needs replacing. If so, see rule above.

Final word from someone that has bought and sold too many guitars, and I know it’s not relevant to what you’ve asked, but in my experience the biggest barrier to a potential buyer is to flat-out refuse to ship the guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    JDE said:
    In my experience it depends on the audience. On here, pots and switch upgrades are generally seen as a positive. Pickups, switching options, trem replacements etc are totally dependent on the buyer. Totally subjective but I, for example, don’t like 4 way switches on Teles and I don’t like 3 way switches on Strats. It doesn’t really really bother me unless you’re not putting a Warpig humbucker in 60’s ES175. 
    On eBay, people tend to prefer bone stock guitars. This is possibly because people that only sell on eBay do things like “convert” a 7 string to a 6 string by just swapping the nut, or replacing the middle pickup on a guitar with a sausage and other such idiocies. 

Golden rules:
    Keep any parts you remove.
    Don’t fuck about with vintage guitars unless a part is so old it needs replacing. If so, see rule above.
    Yeah I think I'd definitely change the switching back to stock options and I do still have the old parts but kind of makes more sense to leave the higher quality components in it unless I find that buyers prefer original.

Not vintage, it's recent so no worries with that.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If I were you, I’d do as you say. Revert back to stock switching, leave the pots etc as they are. Include the old ones and it’s up to the buyer if they wanna put them back in. I would bet that nobody would bother, but it looks good on the sale advert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6996
    General rules for guitar mods/upgrades is that you’ll never reclaim the money on resale.  At best it might make it easier to shift (e.g. upgraded pots, switch), but you’ll not be able to charge a premium.  At worst (if it’s an idiosyncratic mod) it can actually damage the resale value of the guitar.

Full disclosure - all my guitars are modified in some way.  It’s a matter of personal taste.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    thegummy said:
    A question to you all - when selling a guitar that has been electronically modded, would the potential buyers always prefer the electronics to be restored to original or would they possibly prefer keeping the mod?

For example, I've changed the switching to add more choices with a 5-way switch rather than 3-way - should I restore it to the original way before trying to sell it?

What about if the schematic was exactly the same but I'd, for example, swapped the cheaper Alpha pots for higher grade CTS pots, would anyone still prefer the original pots to better quality ones doing the same function?
    I would leave it as it is. Extra switching could be attractive to some buyers and is unlikely to actively put anyone off, if the options are sensible and it’s done neatly.

Upgraded pots are a selling point, don’t put lower-quality ones back in - especially as you will presumably have enlarged the holes to fit CTS ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14224
    tFB Trader
    Good upgrades should be what they suggest - It will depend on the guitar to a large degree and also depends on the next potential customers desire and understanding for such upgrades
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31583
    I would be more likely to buy a guitar which has the exact mods I would have done anyway, but as a buyer I'll pretend I would've preferred it unmodified. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    If you have the old bits and are able to reverse the mods yourself you could put in the advert that you'd be happy to revert it to stock if the buyer desires.