Standing on one leg may predict early death.

What's Hot

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2014

http://www.sharecare.com/health/fitness-exercise/article/improve-your-balance

Well just have to admit it then, looks like my real age is 97.  Mind this is straight after a day at work and my muscles are still trembling and fooked.  Funny I find I am better on my left foot, even though I am right handed.

28 seconds...seriously,. I couldn't do that with my eyes closed when I was 12.  Pretty depressing if it means I am to die in a few years then.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Also depends on what position you keep your leg in when it is 6 inches off the ground. tucked slightly behind your other, without touching it, you can go a minute, parallel to the other and it is a few seconds.  That is enough.

edited April 2014
    OK, final best of three.  32 seconds right leg raised 6 inches off the floor, parallel to the other, no swaying, eyes closed.  Left leg raised, two seconds.  So I conclude that either my right leg is especially knackered from work, as it bears the brunt, being right handed, or that perhaps there is a distinct possibility that my right leg will die soon.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    How do they account for knackered knees? Mine's still dodgy from when I fell over a while back. If I were to stand up and down a couple of times I'd probably fall over anyway. There has to be a table for factoring in such deficiencies, or I'm going to have to write a will PDQ.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah yeah yeah... and doing a single cock-push up will extend your life by 5minutes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Is that all you can manage?

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    standing on one leg for any length of time is a doddle - it's technique unless you're stood on an inch thick rubber mat then it's infuriatingly difficult to manage a full minute.

as for doing 37 squats in a minute - I can do it, but I'd probably swear a bit afterwards.

basically I think this is using core strength as a basic measure of health.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    edited May 2014
    I was going to have a go, but after muttering about MRI scans and possible surgery the doc sent me up the hospital for an x-ray on my knee this morning. As a result I thought I'd give it a miss, and risk the possibility of an early demise.

edited May 2014

Close your eyes, with your arms by your side, raise one leg, 6 inches off the ground with your knee at a 45 degree angle, parallel to the other, straight out in front of you and time yourself until you start rocking, wavering or your foot touches the ground, your other leg, your legs touch or you open your eyes.

4 seconds = 70 year old

28 seconds =  25-30 year old

I would wager that most people couldn't do 2 seconds.  Is this for real?  Seriously first few goes, what can you do?

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    they keep moving when i try to stand on one leg
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    frankus said:
    standing on one leg for any length of time is a doddle - it's technique unless you're stood on an inch thick rubber mat then it's infuriatingly difficult to manage a full minute.

as for doing 37 squats in a minute - I can do it, but I'd probably swear a bit afterwards.

basically I think this is using core strength as a basic measure of health.
    This.  I think martial arts training has a lot to do with this.  Balance is something you learn quick in Ju jitsu.
    edited May 2014

I think I get it now.  It's a test DESIGNED FOR THE ELDERLY, ie. if you are getting glaucoma, are loosing your hearing and your hips are giving out, you really need a sense of inner balance and you can train to achieve it, less you fall over and bang your head and die.  However I interpreted it as, if you can't do this, then you will die.

I am still a bit bemused by the 28 seconds off the bat thing though.  No way without training is that possible first few goes out of the blue.  I'm gonna ask my 74 year old neighbor to try it.  Don't get me wrong., eyes wide open I can do 15 minutes + on each leg.  Eyes shut 2 - 10 seconds.

I'd love to see people coming in with 28 seconds first attempt.

This kind of bullshit is right up there with those trade boards on the net, that advocate to the public that someone mowing your 10 acre lawn with their own £10k Kubota mower, diesel and £25k Transit, including taking all the waste away, or cutting your 21'  high, 3 metre wide Leylandii hedge to mm precision with their own £1k hedgetrimmer, £2.5k scaffold and own fuel should be charged at no more than £6.19 to £9.20 an hour...FFS.

Sometimes this shit really, really upsets me.  Now I know how young women feel constantly being told that a size zero is normal.

This country is cheap, nasty, feudal and bollox and what grates me most about it is the people who are 'Experts' and advocate knowledge know sweet FA about ANYTHING.

Come on then, come and kill me now, you so called internet medical health expert Nazis.

I've got my M4 here for you, ready and waiting and I've reloaded.

I think I am having a Falling Down moment.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited May 2014
    Sambostar said:

I am still a bit bemused by the 28 seconds off the bat thing though.  No way without training is that possible first few goes out of the blue....

This kind of bullshit is right up there with....

Sam, I take physio students and nursing students.  We test balance and this is basically one of the tests.  For a 21 year old physio student 30 seconds is typical.  For a 50 year old it would be far less typical to be able to do 30 seconds.  If they exercised for three months then I'd expect the 50 year old to manange 30 seconds. 

Practice a couple of times a day, see how you get on, and report back in August.

Useful tip:  practice when you brush your teeth or while you're waiting for the kettle to boil.  I.e. associate your exercise with something you already do regularly.
    edited May 2014

Grunfield you just made me feel crap mate.  Straight off the bat 30 seconds is normal?  Does a hard day's graft, when  your muscles are aching and taught have any bearing on the results?  I always knew I had the mind of a 130 year old grumpy git, but not the body?  I'm up and down scaffold everyday, eight pack, not any fat on me and I'm over average BMI. So despite this, you are saying if a gust of wind comes, I will just blow over?  I find this really, really depressing!  I get tinnitus in my right ear (Hereditary) would this have an effect when standing on my right leg?  I'm becoming a bit obsessed with this, as I think this mystic core strength nonsense I lack.

I have never managed 28 seconds, even as a gangly teen with big legs.  I'm 6'2" and filled out now but still top heavy I guess.

I feel so sad....especially given that you actually KNOW what the hell you are on about.

But exercise, I do exercise everyday mate, I'm a landscaper.

edited May 2014

OK, I just did 25 seconds on my right leg, I have had ten attempts so far.

I think this is a gimmick, if you practice it and relax it becomes easy.

Problem is I find it boring to relax and meditate as I am a fidgety, restless bastard. also my brain wants me to go with flow, wherever it takes me as falling over is at least more exciting than standing still for 30 seconds.  I think it is a neurological/ meditative thing.  I find it difficult because I think relaxing is for useless people.

Now I've gone wobbly again.  I need twenty Stella's and some amphetimines.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Sambostar said:

Straight off the bat 30 seconds is normal?...  I'm up and down scaffold everyday, eight pack, not any fat on me and I'm over average BMI. So despite this, you are saying if a gust of wind comes, I will just blow over?

But exercise, I do exercise everyday mate, I'm a landscaper.

30 seconds is typical for a physio student in their early 20s. 

End of last year I had a fella about 50 come to see me cos his balance had become problematic -- physical job, up and down ladders all day.  We worked out a balance exercise program.  Took about three months (we did more than just the one-legged exercise though but he wanted and needed to improve).  His balance is now better beyond all recognition.  He's chuffed to bits.  He'll never be Olga Korbut but he's good working at heights now. 

I was not saying anything about "a gust of wind blowing you over" Sam.  I'm not sure how you interpreted what I said as that.  Was just talking about typical values for people and balance.  I don't know about your ear either.  Here's a suggestion if you're interested:  regularly do the simple balance exercises and see how you get on over 12 weeks.  If you've not improved you could then get it assessed more thoroughly. 
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited May 2014
    Sambostar said:

I think I get it now.  It's a test DESIGNED FOR THE ELDERLY, ie. if you are getting glaucoma, are loosing your hearing and your hips are giving out, you really need a sense of inner balance and you can train to achieve it, less you fall over and bang your head and die.  However I interpreted it as, if you can't do this, then you will die.

I am still a bit bemused by the 28 seconds off the bat thing though.  No way without training is that possible first few goes out of the blue.  I'm gonna ask my 74 year old neighbor to try it.  Don't get me wrong., eyes wide open I can do 15 minutes + on each leg.  Eyes shut 2 - 10 seconds.

This kind of bullshit is right up there with those trade boards on the net, that advocate to the public that someone mowing your 10 acre lawn with their own £10k Kubota mower, diesel and £25k Transit, including taking all the waste away, or cutting your 21'  high, 3 metre wide Leylandii hedge to mm precision with their own £1k hedgetrimmer, £2.5k scaffold and own fuel should be charged at no more than £6.19 to £9.20 an hour...FFS.

Sometimes this shit really, really upsets me.  Now I know how young women feel constantly being told that a size zero is normal.

This country is cheap, nasty, feudal and bollox and what grates me most about it is the people who are 'Experts' and advocate knowledge know sweet FA about ANYTHING.

Come on then, come and kill me now, you so called internet medical health expert Nazis.

I've got my M4 here for you, ready and waiting and I've reloaded.

I think I am having a Falling Down moment.

Now I get it.  It's to weed out the stress-heads.

4 seconds first time.  6 second time.  6 on other foot first time.  Then indefinite on that foot.  Then indefinite on other foot.

Edit: just read later posts.  Weed joke unintentional.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    27 seconds, first attempt. I could do 27 minutes if you didn't have to close your eyes!