NGD: Gibson Custom Shop Heavy-Aged 1968 Les Paul Goldtop 50th Anniversary Reissue

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
After much deliberation, I have really pushed out the boat and managed to find a way to trade/buy a Gibson Custom Shop Heavy-Aged 1968 Les Paul Goldtop 50th Anniversary. There are only 68 of this limited edition being made (Coda have one on order) and it's a meticulous copy of a Custom Shop employees original '68.

I got it earlier today and plugged in the P90s immediately give out and old school sound. With the Strymon Flint on adding spring reverb and trem, and just a little bit of grit, I immediately reached for a slide...but realised I don't have one!

On the MKIIc+ channel of my Mark V it sounds fierce with the bridge pickup tone control rolled back just a bit, really, really satisfying and grin inducing punk and vintage rock tones.

It's very well aged and gives a convincing old worn in feel and look but plays very nicely, with a nice rosewood fingerboard with plenty of red hues and cracks/pores, the neck is slimmer than a R8 but fatter than a R0, it's a nice comfortable handful scanned from the original. The specs are authentic to the 1968 first Les Paul Standard reissue after they were discontinued and before the Norlin changes really kicked in so it has the small headstock, single piece body, long neck tenon, but does have the wider binding in the cutaway, double ring tuners, nylon saddles, 14 degree headstock angle, chrome plating, shallow body carve. It's a nice weight at 8.1/2 lbs too.

The orange lined case and replica copy of the Gibson Gazette from 1968 are a nice touch and add to the old school vibe.

Pics below taken just as the light was fading this afternoon, I'm heading to the web to order a slide and going to string up with some .011s. The neighbours are going to love my crap drop D delta blues wailing and poor renditions of The Who's Live at Leeds and Who's Next riffs.

1reaction image LOL 26reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments