NGD! Gibson SG Special Faded

What's Hot
DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
edited March 2019 in Guitar
Exciting day for me, my first proper Gibson. I like the Faded models because I love a satin neck, and this popped up just ove an hour away from me. The neck profile is thicker than I usually like, as they put the fat '59 on these. The price was good though, so if I really can't get on with it, I can sell it on in a couple of months.

It's a 2008. No marks. Body looks to me like it might be one piece, but I'm terrible at identifying that, so I could be wrong. Surprisingly, given that it's a big neck, it doesn't really neck dive.

https://imgur.com/f2NedFv

https://imgur.com/aKt6m0o

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Very nice,enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267

Congrats. 

I've got a 2006 and it's fantastic. Great guitars. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I'm enjoying it so far. It's really resonant. Apologies for the picture links, I never seem to be able to embed pictures properly here.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I’ve got a 2016 one that looks identical to yours. I’ve owned it from new since December 2015 and I absolutely love it and still play it at every opportunity. I don’t know what neck shape mine has, but it’s very comfortable and the satin finish is why I chose the Faded over the Standard, it just felt so much nicer to play.

Mine needed some minor-ish upgrades, but it’s an amazing guitar and I’ll never sell it.

Enjoy!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26966
    Lovely! I still miss my old 2003 model - brilliant guitars.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Looks great. Although I own a few Gibson Les Pauls I prefer tone of the thinner SGs and find them more comfortable to play. Have fun with your new guitar.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5751
    Odd guitars these. Always enjoy the feel and experience of playing one but there is something about an SG that’s never quite right for me

Glad you don’t have this stupid prejudice as that looks like a great find :)
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Happy NGD man
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Cheers all! I've been playing it lots since it arrived. Getting used to the neck, but I don't know if it'll ever be my preference. 

Cons: The G string won't stay in tune, but I think that's a combination of the nut needing some attention, new strings and the strings being wrapped round the post about 20 times by the previous owner. It'll be getting a setup soon, so we'll see what that does for it.

Pros: That sound though! It roars without being too harsh, and doesn't lose definition in the low end. All the sounds I was trying to squeeze out of old gear are just *there.* It hangs perfectly on the strap, and the fret access is, of course, amazing. 

However, I've had it for nearly 24 hours now, and still don't play like Gary Clark Jr, so it's obviously defective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Good to hear that it hangs perfectly on the strap SGs can be prone to some neck dive . Not that it’s ever really bothered me but some players make a big deal about it.