My 'Why didn't I get a valve amp years ago?' Eureka moment

What's Hot
dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
So I've always been a bit of a die-hard SS amp proponent. An HH, Peavey and latterly, Carlsbro fan. I never ever wanted a valve amp, based on an afternoon I spent with a Marshall JCM 800 many years ago.

However, I now find myself in possession of not one, but two valve amps, namely an old Selmer T'n'B 50R SV and a Laney Cub 15 head. And I think I have been seduced over to the glowing glass bottles side. 

I won a Laney VC30 off Ebay, (which I was unable to buy as the seller failed to  verify his paypal account - I suspect he didn't want to let the amp go for what I have to say was a pretty low amount), an amp I fancied for some time due to their supposed similarity to an AC30. In hindsight I am relieved as I don't relish lifting one in and out of the boot of my car. So I sought a replacement.

Now, I've had the Selmer for a couple of years after finding it abandoned in a store cupboard at work (I know!), but had never used it having had no cab and never having bothered my arse to get one! So I finally decided to utilise a couple of bust 2x12 combos I had lying around and have de-amped them and bingo! A cab for the Selmer! And there it was- a sense of depth and dynamic to the sound that I had always thought was just something that valve-fans talked about to knock SS amps!

So, still having my VC30 money burning a hole in my Paypal pockets, I sought a small valve amp for home use and recording, and ended up with the Cub 15 head and matching 2x12 cab. I'm wondering about it's viability for smaller gigs too as it is just so light!

I've been through all my guitars and without exception they all sound better than they do through my SS amps. All that guff about 'detail'. 'definition', 'character' etc etc.I have been left rubbing my chin wondering why I never tried earlier. Definitely a 'DUH!' feeling. I 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Fancy a Laney Lionheart 20w head to go with your collection?.... SUPERB amps. 

Can't think where there's one for sale for just £275...
    :-?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I had a similar realisation a few years ago. If always liked SS amps for the convenience/weight etc and because I started playing a lot of jazz, I didn't want them to overdrive. When I payed rock I used to use a lot of pedals, so I just needed a clean base. Got an older Deluxe Reverb in a trade for a guitar and felt like a fool afterwards - sounded lovely! Then I fell down a huge rat hole...

I now quite often play in stereo - one SS amp and a small valve combo.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    impmann said:
    Fancy a Laney Lionheart 20w head to go with your collection?.... SUPERB amps. 

:-?
    Er... Thanks for the offer though! :)
  • I have a cub12r and I upgraded the stock rocket speaker for a v30, easily loud enough for pub gigs with a loud drummer, so I expect your one with 2 speakers would be fine (as long as you don't want glassy cleans tho)
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2351
    impmann said:
    Where?!
    I have a cub12r and I upgraded the stock rocket speaker for a v30, easily loud enough for pub gigs with a loud drummer, so I expect your one with 2 speakers would be fine (as long as you don't want glassy cleans tho)
    I rather had in mind mic'ing the cab if I did gig the Laney. Although I more or less have the Selmer in mind as my main gigging amp, I really like the smallness and portability of the Cub. 
    Are the Rockets really that bad compared to Celestions? I have a couple of V30s that I thought about swapping them with.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    dogload said:
    Are the Rockets really that bad compared to Celestions? I have a couple of V30s that I thought about swapping them with.
    Just try it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited April 2014
    ICBM said: Just try it :).

Is it
    that obvious?!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Well… it isn't that obvious that valve amps should sound better than solid state ones ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Well… it isn't that obvious that valve amps should sound better than solid state ones ;).

Thanks... as if I didn't already feel like a fifty year old virgin who's just discovered sex...

:)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I found the rocket speaker sounded a bit thin and tinny, compared to a v30. but low volume its ok.