Noisy pedal advice

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
edited March 2019 in FX
I'm running a nano + board like the below.

Pedals are daisy chained from a 1 spot. Pitchfork and boosts before the amp, reverb and looper in the loop.

I was hoping I might get away with a daisy chain but I'm getting noise, mainly from the pitchfork.

What is the best solution?

https://i.imgur.com/ekT3527.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Noise gate?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Pitchshifter’s are notoriously noisy (try saying that after a beer) on daisy chains. Personally, if you don’t want to buy an isolated multi power supply, I’d just get a single 9v PSU (the Boss ones can be had for around £15 if you look hard enough and are *very* good, but any will do) to give the EHX it’s own power supply and use the One Spot for the rest. 

The One Spot is a *great* daisy chain in my opinion, but certain pedals just don’t like to share power.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Digital pedals like the Pitch Fork tend to do this - I haven't tried one personally, but the Digitech Drop is the same. Combining pedals in front of the amp and in the loop on a single non-isolated power supply can also cause ground loop issues.

You need an isolated output power supply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9524
    Dont use a daisy chain... isolated only for me.
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    An Isolated power supply should do the trick. I had to get one for my Nano+ board recently.
    Of the more well known / trusted brands that do a unit that will fit under Nano+, there is the Voodoo labs X4 and PedalTrain make one too, the MXR mini iso brick also looks good - I saw one of them at the Guitar Show in Birmingham and I was surprised how tiny it was. All of these are around the £100 mark.

I took a gamble on a Vitoos ISO 4 which was a lot cheaper than the rest (about £25) and so far it has worked out OK for me. Although you have to find your own AC adapter to actually power it - I had one lying around at home that works well.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    edited March 2019
    Thanks all.

Hmm - I've got 3 digital pedals on that board. All of them contribute their own little bit of noise, but the Pitch Fork is definitely the worst offender. The TC HOF2 is surprisingly quiet on the daisy chain.

So I guess this means that I need to get a proper isolated power supply. Boo - I was hoping to avoid that expense.
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    A proper high quality isolated power supply is not a "fun" investment by any means, but certainly worthwhile. Even more so if you are going to play live anywhere. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    Any advice on the right one to go for?

Truetone CS6 looks like it would do nicely, whilst also offering that advantage that if I do upgrade my board later I have an extra outlet. Is that a good one?
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    Truetone CS6 is good. Also, the Cioks DC5 is good and will fit under a Pedaltrain Nano+
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I’ve got a CS7 - fantastic. The Truetone stuff is ace. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5133
    edited March 2019
    JDE said:
    I’ve got a CS7 - fantastic. The Truetone stuff is ace. 
    Same. 

I'd be inclined to spend the extra wedge on something like this rather than the sketchy cheap Chinese brands. I'm not convinced that all of those are exactly what they claim to be, particularly in terms of what's isolated from what.

The CS7 is totally quiet and all the outlets are isolated from each other. I don't see any reason why the CS6 (which would work better for the OP) would be any different. 

IMO most guitarists who like pedals will eventually run in to a situation where isolated power is required. Better to spend a chunk of change once on a decent isolated PSU.

Also, FWIW it's possible to daisy chain multiple pedals from each of the isolated outlets, so you're not actually limited to one pedal for each outlet. Just need to make sure you stay under the current limit, which at 500mA x 5 outlets on the CS6 is a lot of analogue pedals.  

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• steersteer Frets: 1186
    Almost anything by Voodoo Labs will do you OK.