Why is it ...

What's Hot
Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
... the devils own job to get a guitar to play in tune?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Won't make a blind bit of difference. I have a Yamaha tuner and it's a good'un.

I can tune to it, or try to get the a-shape chord in tune. The d-shape is out of tune so I fix it. The G or C shape become worse. What ever I do something always sound wrong.

'Tis true of Gibsons, Yamahas, Tokais and other lesser-known brands. It's enough to make you take up keyboards!

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like your intonation is out. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Um.....

?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Or your nut is too high.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Won't make a blind bit of difference. I have a Yamaha tuner and it's a good'un.

I can tune to it, or try to get the a-shape chord in tune. The d-shape is out of tune so I fix it. The G or C shape become worse. What ever I do something always sound wrong.

'Tis true of Gibsons, Yamahas, Tokais and other lesser-known brands. It's enough to make you take up keyboards!

I get this too, and it can vary day by day. 

Some guitars just just sound off one day but fine the next. Ambient temperature maybe?

@guitarcookie1 yes mate. may have something to do with it. even happens on acoustics with heavier gauge strings. Pisses me right off.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Intonation. Better get that screwdriver out :)
    @lonestar so what if there's B-gg_r all difference between the 12th fret fretted and the harmonic?
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Sounds like user error tbh
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    The last 3 guitars I've had have stayed in tune fine, but they will go out if I start bending the G like crazy during a solo, unless it's Floyd Rose equipped. Always the G.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Sounds like your nuts are too high.

:)

It might also be worth thinking about Earvana nuts - some people find them an improvement over a standard one. @FelineGuitars can advise...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    @lonestar so what if there's B-gg_r all difference between the 12th fret fretted and the harmonic?
    Could be the gauge of string you use coupled with how you fret the notes. Using light strings and a heavy hand (for example) can push everything out of tune. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Because of your insistence on playing Gibson style guitars. Buy a Fender.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I have this problem sometimes too Phil the only two guitars which are never a problem are my prs and strat.  My strat has an earvana nut fitted by the guys at feline and it's fantastic.  Open chords always sound great. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    You’re not using enough distortion 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I'm a stickler for tuning accuracy, but electric guitars are meant to be played in a band and then any inaccuracy in tunings/intonation blends in.

So long as the tuning isn't too sour, like when somebody puts on a capo with an iron grip, the tuning differences can create a pleasing chorus effect,
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited March 2019
    mbe said:
    I'm a stickler for tuning accuracy, but electric guitars are meant to be played in a band and then any inaccuracy in tunings/intonation blends in.

So long as the tuning isn't too sour, like when somebody puts on a capo with an iron grip, the tuning differences can create a pleasing chorus effect,
    I'm inclined to agree. I can live with it across all my guitars, provided the octaves are OK by comparing the pitch of the open string to 12th fret.

Sometimes I change strings and have to tweak the bridge saddle positions slightly but, apart from that, all is good.

It's not a competition.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited March 2019
    Get your guitar setup properly. As others have said, most likely the nut is too high. Either that or you are pressing far, far too hard.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I've finished songs that sounded great with bands and then was shocked when I switched on the tuner to check and found a string way off.