If you go down to the guitar store today...

What's Hot
VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
I was in the Edinburgh GuitarGuitar today and they had a lot of Les Pauls, PRS and 335s etc in the Pre Owned section - turns out some guy brought in 23 guitars from his collection he's down to 50 or so now from over 100 - the guitars look fantastic but apparently none come with a case as he chucks them out (they really do look in great condition tho) Worth checking out if you are in the area :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    For every guitar that ever there was
    Will gather there for certain
    Because today's the day the...

...poor blokes wife won
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Might be a touring musician which would explain the multiple identical guitars and throwing the cases away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    If he'd bought a Telecaster in the first place he wouldn't have had to go through so many Gibsons before he found a decent one.
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    gringopig said:

All of the guitars seem to have buckle rash though, that's the only problem.

Which as we all know causes a guitar to sound terrible and never stay in tune. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    If he'd bought a Telecaster in the first place he wouldn't have had to go through so many Gibsons before he found a decent one.
    Knowing how this sort of thing works the seller probably just about got enough store credit for a Squier CV Tele after trading in all those Gibsons. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11675
    Wow - they are all so..... samey....
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Buckle rash, no cases, similar guitars and large quantity suggests he is an actual gigging pro musician so these should be great players.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Nope - apparently doesn't gig! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    That's going to dent the sales of new Gibsons for a while...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited March 2019
    How would something like this work?  Would they accept 23 guitars on consignment in one go? Or, would they have bought them as a job lot at an average of say a grand each, and just transfer him 23k?

And wouldn't they be better off distributing them around the country to get the investment and profit back as quickly as possible?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    edited March 2019
    I’m guessing he’s either in need of cash fast or he’s getting a better trade in offer than the usual from Guitar Guitar, from past experiences their trade in deals are pretty low 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    ^ Exactly this

GuitarGuitar trade in deals are total shite.
    He would be very very lucky to get a more than 30% of their total worth. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    clarkefan said:
    And wouldn't they be better off distributing them around the country to get the investment and profit back as quickly as possible?
    They’ll get listed on the website with national reach eventually. I like looking at their used stock they have a good turnover at decent prices.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Vaiai said:
    Nope - apparently doesn't gig! 
    If he doesn’t gig then how come there’s bucklerash? You mean to say he’s not sitting in his pants like the rest of us non-gig slobs?!?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    ^ Exactly this

GuitarGuitar trade in deals are total shite.
    He would be very very lucky to get a more than 30% of their total worth. 
    Then I feel sorry for the guy, if that's anywhere near correct he's getting ripped a new one.
  • Storing cases for 100 guitars would take loads of space. That’s a fair reason for not keeping them
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I think some people have enough money to not have to care about trade in value. Plenty people lose a fortune buying a new car regularly. As to how they have bucklerash - he may not have bought them new. I agree with GG trade in value tho - I considered it but it's 25% commission for them to sell it for you - and to be fair that's national reach, shipping, packaging and insurance handled as well as some good pics taken for the website - again - for some people that's worth it for less hassle
  • GG would have shafted him on prices. They are one of the worst for piss take valuations 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom