If you go down to the guitar store today...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Storing cases for 100 guitars would take loads of space. That’s a fair reason for not keeping them

Storing 100 guitars would also pose a problem for most people!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited March 2019
    Sweet haul!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    Get Hiscox on line one! 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    would like to see what he's kept then!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    would like to see what he's kept then!

My guess is he’s stocked up on the Gibson blowouts last year. 

Must say say that I got rid of all my USA Gibson’s after going custom shop.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    No matter what, I'd never ditch the original cases. If you can store 100 guitars, they can all just be kept in cases with a tag on them!

GG may know the guy personally. He may be doing a deal with them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited March 2019
    All honeyburst 2001,2003,2005 and a JP Les Paul and custom 
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    Yes looks like it has now hit the website. Slightly ambitious pricing on some of this stuff but some nice pieces in there. The Breedlove custom shop looks great (cedar and walnut is my favourite combo).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eogeog Frets: 40
    gringopig said:
    ^ Exactly this

GuitarGuitar trade in deals are total shite.
    He would be very very lucky to get a more than 30% of their total worth. 
    I've traded in quite a few now and an amp and although they take their cut as expected, the price offered was certainly not that. They also pay more if you are trading against something in the shop.

I've traded in a guitar and a few pedals at GG, in part because I live near one and it removes a lot of hassle.

The price they give you isn't super, but in a trade they will usually lower the price of what you're getting so the end result is pretty decent. Most recent trade-in I got 70% of listed price taking that into account.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    gringopig said:
    ^ Exactly this

GuitarGuitar trade in deals are total shite.
    He would be very very lucky to get a more than 30% of their total worth. 
    I've traded in quite a few now and an amp and although they take their cut as expected, the price offered was certainly not that. They also pay more if you are trading against something in the shop.

Yeah I didn’t think they paid as low as 30%, interesting to hear from real life that they do pay more.

Bearing in mind they have to advertise the thing, presumably check it over, clean and restring it, potentially have it hanging around for ages taking up space, THEN have to pay VAT on the sale, you can’t blame them for paying under what punters think it’s worth. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Yeah there's a guy comes to the Edinburgh shop a lot buying lots of expensive new guitars. One guy doesn't even play - he hangs them above his mantelpiece as art!
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    edited March 2019
    Yeah there's a guy comes to the Edinburgh shop a lot buying lots of expensive new guitars. One guy doesn't even play - he hangs them above his mantelpiece as art!
    I wonder if this might be the same guy...

I was trying a guitar in that shop one time, a used Tom Anderson, and a guy started chatting to me.   Very nice, mild mannered bloke, btw. He obviously had had quite a collection over the years, bought and sold a lot, and revealed that he had previously owned the guitar I was trying out.  The guitar was an absolutely superb player, one of the best I've ever played: the down side was that the colour (metallic purple iirc) wouldn't have been everybody's cup of tea.  Of course I was telling the guy what a fantastic player his old guitar was.

I got a distinct impression that this his attitude to buying and selling guitars might have been irrational even by GAS obsessed guitarist standards.  Nothing he said made me think he was a serious player, although I may have been mistaken in that.  He must have been pretty well off, although he didn't seem the type to be holding down a well-paid job - I was guessing probably an inheritance.

Anyway, I was far from set on buying the guitar but I was tempted enough to go back the following morning for another look:  it was gone. 

Now I'll never know, but my guess is that as soon as I left the shop the guy bought his old guitar back.  The alternative explanation is that someone else arrived in the shop either very late afternoon or early the following morning, tried out the guitar and bought it.  Seems pretty unlikely given that model in that colour.

What I suspect is that despite selling the guitar seeing someone else play it and enjoy it triggered off a need for him to have it back, even though he must have lost a fair bit of money on the transaction.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    boogieman said:

Yeah I didn’t think they paid as low as 30%, interesting to hear from real life that they do pay more. 

Bearing in mind they have to advertise the thing, presumably check it over, clean and restring it, potentially have it hanging around for ages taking up space, THEN have to pay VAT on the sale, you can’t blame them for paying under what punters think it’s worth. 
    They only have to pay VAT on the profit margin.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    edited March 2019
    gringopig said:
    I wonder if this might be the same guy...

I was trying a guitar in that shop one time, a used Tom Anderson, and a guy started chatting to me.   Very nice, mild mannered bloke, btw. He obviously had had quite a collection over the years, bought and sold a lot, and revealed that he had previously owned the guitar I was trying out.  The guitar was an absolutely superb player, one of the best I've ever played: the down side was that the colour (metallic purple iirc) wouldn't have been everybody's cup of tea.  Of course I was telling the guy what a fantastic player his old guitar was.

I got a distinct impression that this his attitude to buying and selling guitars might have been irrational even by GAS obsessed guitarist standards.  Nothing he said made me think he was a serious player, although I may have been mistaken in that.  He must have been pretty well off, although he didn't seem the type to be holding down a well-paid job - I was guessing probably an inheritance.

Anyway, I was far from set on buying the guitar but I was tempted enough to go back the following morning for another look:  it was gone. 

Now I'll never know, but my guess is that as soon as I left the shop the guy bought his old guitar back.  The alternative explanation is that someone else arrived in the shop either very late afternoon or early the following morning, tried out the guitar and bought it.  Seems pretty unlikely given that model in that colour.

What I suspect is that despite selling the guitar seeing someone else play it and enjoy it triggered off a need for him to have it back, even though he must have lost a fair bit of money on the transaction.

Ha. I know this story. It was a Tom Anderson drop top classic. I played it on a Friday acoustically and it was fantastic so couldn't help myself and on the Saturday I set out to buy it only to find a Brazilian guy in the booth with it and a Suhr. I was assured by Jay that he was more interested in the Suhr but NO. The Tom Anderson was purchased and he left with it!

Bah.

He was some freakishly good player as well.

Wow. I obviously got it completely wrong. At that time particularly shifting a TA with that description was tough.  It's the sort of guitar I'd have expected to stick around the shop for weeks if not months.  The price was fair, but it wasn't an outrageous bargain or anything.  So it looks like at least 3 people tried out and were seriously interested in buying the guitar in a matter of a few hours.  Pretty remarkable.

I only played it acoustically as well.  I never regretted not getting it.  Fantastic player as it was, I just know the look of it would have bugged me.  And I prefer Gibson scale.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”