Bernie Tormé RIP

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I've seen Bernie live 3 or 4 times over the years, had a few albums and even had a bunch of bootlegs on cassette at one point. 
    Really sad news, RIP. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    RIP Ernie Orme/
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Sad news, saw him in the 80s kicking arse with Gillan. Loud. Check out Glory Road and Mr. Universe, cracking records.

Thanks for the tunes Bernie. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 879
    Saw him at Reading Festival in Gillan. Totally brilliant.  I think of him every time I open my spare parts box because it contains the backplate from my first Fender Strat which he autographed when he visited Southend touring with The Electric Gypsies.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Had his signature on the back of my demin jacket on the tour for Turn out the Lights.  Can't remember who he was supporting - just googled, looks like it was Budgie - we missed the main act as we were decamped to the stage door trying to meet Bernie.

R.I.P.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 984
    Very sad news.

One of the most exhilierating musicians I've ever witnessed.

The only guitarist in the "purple camp" to give the man in black a real run for his money (and more consistantly too). 

Sounded original, had real energy and presence, made an exciting spectacle - and you always knew it was him.

If there was a negative it was that he thought he could sing...

Mr Universe is on the rocks with broken wings.

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 538
    Truly gutted. I still remember seeing Gillan on Rock Goes to College as a 13 year old. I guess he was my first guitar hero. Saw him in November on his last tour.  Gone, never to be forgotten. RIP.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730
    This was a shock.  He wasn't really that old and I didn't know he had health problems.  RIP.

Mr Universe was one of the first proper rock albums I ever bought (I remember it was a bargain price of £3, as a new release, which was a contributing factor).
  • Very sad. Bernie’s playing blew my mind in the 80’s. Time to spin some Gillan and raise a glass. Thanks for the licks big brother. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I remember Gillan constantly being played and turning up on TV when I was younger. Sad news. RIP Bernie
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Really sad news this.
    Bernie was part of my youth, a true original.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    Recall seeing him with Gillan at a gig in Derby - Recall a big monster on bass like Mr T - just broke bass strings 1/2 way through a solo on purpose - RIP
    Recall seeing him with Gillan at a gig in Derby - Recall a big monster on bass like Mr T - just broke bass strings 1/2 way through a solo on purpose - RIP
    John McCoy presumably. Later on the M in Bernie's band GMT. 
    I'm fairly sure it's Puget Sound off Mr Universe where John ended the song by playing a repeating riff as he detuned his bass, I'll have to look it up. He was also in a band, IIRC, called Mammoth with some other big boned musicians.  They used those Marshall mini stacks as back drops for photo shoots to emphasise their stature. Fun days. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    I'm fairly sure it's Puget Sound off Mr Universe where John ended the song by playing a repeating riff as he detuned his bass, I'll have to look it up. He was also in a band, IIRC, called Mammoth with some other big boned musicians.  They used those Marshall mini stacks as back drops for photo shoots to emphasise their stature. Fun days. 
    Just looked up images on google so yes John McCoy

Just recall a bass solo then ended up just ripping each string one by one
    Just looked up images on google so yes John McCoy

Just recall a bass solo then ended up just ripping each string one by one
    I think I may have been dreaming that bass ending having tried to find it. But, yes, imposing figure is John. 
    I recall John at the Hammy doing his solo spot.  A few interestng runs then stood mid stage bass held high for an age.  Dropped it on the stage, then stomped off.  We went bonkers.  He and bernie were real entertainers as well as great musicians.  I've always harboured the wish to see them together again - but with a singer!
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 538
    I've been watching so much great Bernie content these last few days. I think this link below is my favourite - real insight into his style and genius. The Strat featured is a thing of total beauty.  Hosted on Pledge, evil corrupt bastards who reportedly screwed Bernie out of £16K. https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/bernietorme2017/updates/78360

That was an interesting link; short of joining the dodgy site, is there a way to view his other videos (they look most informative)?
    HerrMetal said:
    I've been watching so much great Bernie content these last few days. I think this link below is my favourite - real insight into his style and genius. The Strat featured is a thing of total beauty.  Hosted on Pledge, evil corrupt bastards who reportedly screwed Bernie out of £16K. https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/bernietorme2017/updates/78360

I don’t know much about Pledge Music but I was listening to Sophie Ellis Bexter on the radio the other day and she mentioned it, effectively she’d used her own money to bail out the project she had on it. I didn’t know Bernie was one of the other artists effected.