Les Paul Set up - advice required please

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382

Bugger - major problem.

I re strung my R8 last night in readiness for a gig on Friday and the bloody thing has gone to pot!

I was careful; to replace half the strings first then the second half so it kept the bridge and saddles in position. I've come back to play the new strings in tonight and the lower strings are not ringing out as they were with the old strings on - same gauge and manufacturer. The E and A bit rattley from the 12th fret up. The A string in particular is flat to the board from the 15th fret and has no sustain. I have sighted along the neck and there is a little relief on the shape of the neck.

Normally I would take it to the guy who sets my guitars up up but its 2 days to the gig but I have no chance with work.

Is the obvious answer simply to raise the bridge a little with the bottom thumbscrew?

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:

Bugger - major problem.

I re strung my R8 last night in readiness for a gig on Friday and the bloody thing has gone to pot!

Is the obvious answer simply to raise the bridge a little with the bottom thumbscrew?

Yes....  You can always adjust it back if you find it doesn't work.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    Thanks @rabs Having a go now - increments of 1/4 turns. Is that over cautious as I could be here all night!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’ve found they can wander when you take away some of the tension - just adjust them to height you want.   It isn’t like a truss rod that needs to settle and have gradual changes. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Yeah 1/4 of a turn is good... That way, if it is the bridge you will know where the cut off point is.. When it stops buzzing give it an extra quarter turn to give it some breathing room.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited March 2019 tFB Trader
    I was going to say raise the bridge just in case the thumbweels have moved, i had that once when i was first learning years ago or i might have turned the bridge round, it was along time ago
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    1 and 3/4 turns later and panic over. Its bit bloody odd though considering I have restrung it several times and no issues, then sods law, 3 days before a gig and it does it!. Thanks both
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    Capo 1st fret.  Hold down last fret 6th string.  Use feeler gauge under 6 th string.  Aiming for biggest gap around 10 to 12 thou of an inch.  Adjust truss rod accordingly righty tighty lefty loosey. Once that's fine raise or lower the bridge to fine tune the string height and note ring clarity.  Remember to retune between steps.  Finally adjust the intonation.  Boom.  15mins and it plays like butter. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Relief is a personal thing, no way I'd set my LP up with 10 or 12 thou i find a flatter neck plays better imo so i only have a tiny bit, alot depends on nut height and action too

I normally put a capo on the 1st fret and see what it's like at the 7th fret whilst holding the 16th fret down, i add fallaway so holding the end fret down doesn't give a true picture of the neck

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I’ve had a similar wtf moment before, turned out that my strings were resting beside the bridge saddles instead of on top of them  B)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom