Re-housing an old pedal

What's Hot
BobTheSalmonBobTheSalmon Frets: 37
Hi folks, an interesting one here.

I dug out my old Marshall Echohead delay and have to say it's not a bad sounding pedal at all. I would like to use it live, but the dials are impossible to read, the writing has faded and the battery enclosure has broken of, so it is impossible to stick to my board and have any idea of where the knobs are when playing.

It crossed my mind that I could re-house it...? Has anyone done this or similar or is it a waste of time and energy? 

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If the jacks aren't board mounted then it should be doable. Open it up and have a look
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    it has board mounted jacks, I took one apart years ago. then forgot and now don't know where all the bits are to put it back together :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Or put some new knobs on it/ repaint the indication marks.....for that DIY chic look?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    You should be able to get different knobs that fit - at least it's not one with the stacked knobs, which are very difficult.

The easiest way to replace the battery door is simply to find another dead Marshall pedal and swap the bottoms - unfortunately I don't have any at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Use tipex to mark a radius on the knob. I do that with mooer pedals and it works well. Might not be so effective on silver though.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Masking tape and a Sharpie.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768

Got new knobbies from Banzai for mine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    The knobs on this range of Marshall pedals are terrible - I can't get on with them at all. Shame, because the pedals are actually quite good, and very reasonably-priced.

R.
  • I replaced the knobs on mine from Banzai.com as well. Annoyingly, the Banzai ones are silver too but are an improvement on the originals.

I actually found it quite difficult to find knobs that fit.  The pots have a flat bit on the shaft that most knobs don’t fit on.  Also you need to find knobs that have a small enough diameter to fit as well.  Other than the Banzai stuff, the only knobs I found that fit came off an old dead Alesis midiveb rack unit.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2360
    I bought some knobs from Time Travel Audio in Embra (Edinburgh).

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/oiC0L6Z"><a href="//imgur.com/oiC0L6Z"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They have a shop on Ebay, search for "timetravelaudio", all one word.  Had to buy a pack of 10 "Davies 1900H".

So I guess that means I have 6 spare somewhere.  Bobthesalmon, if you want 4, PM me and I can post them to you (if I can find them...).

I would also like to get this pedal rehoused into a bigger box with a tap tempo switch on it.  I'm rubbish with fiddly electronics and don't really have the time to spend trying to (learn to) do it myself.  I have email several folk online, but no takers.  I am hoping to bump into a pedal hobbyist who will love the challenge and do it for some beer tokens.

Cheers,

DDig
    Bollocks, I have forgotten how to post photos here, I'll have another go...
  • Many thanks for all you responses and apologies for my tardiness in getting back.

Ddigger - Thanks very much for your kind offer, I have actually found some knobs that fit which look rather similar to yours but black. I shall post the results when I get the chance...!

I would also like to get this pedal rehoused into a bigger box with a tap tempo switch on it.  I'm rubbish with fiddly electronics and don't really have the time to spend trying to (learn to) do it myself.  I have email several folk online, but no takers.  I am hoping to bump into a pedal hobbyist who will love the challenge and do it for some beer tokens.

I too would love someone to do this! ;-)