Gibson serial numbers

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I’m meeting a guy next week to try out a VOS R8 Les Paul he has with a view to buying it. He says it’s a 2010.

the serial number is C889060 on the back of the headstock. 

I have tried a number of times to fathom out Gibson serial numbers but still can’t. Can anyone who knows how the serial numbers work confirm the year of manufacture and if this is a genuine R8 serial number?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    This is the place I've always used, but it draws a blank with your number:

https://www.guitardaterproject.org/

Get him to confirm the number?

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Nitefly said:
    This is the place I've always used, but it draws a blank with your number:

https://www.guitardaterproject.org/

Get him to confirm the number?

I did have a check on there as I have used it a couple of times before but unfortunately you can’t use it for Gibson custom shop guitars 
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    It may well be worth checking that again but maybe it should read CR8 9060. You would be better emailing Gibson direct as some databases do not pick up custom shop output.
    In the format you have supplied that is certainly not an R8, however in the revised format it is possible a cloud 9 (Chambered R8 ) built in 2009 ?. If it is, it is a tasty guitar. Good luck.
    artiebear said:
    It may well be worth checking that again but maybe it should read CR8 9060. You would be better emailing Gibson direct as some databases do not pick up custom shop output.
    In the format you have supplied that is certainly not an R8, however in the revised format it is possible a cloud 9 (Chambered R8 ) built in 2009 ?. If it is, it is a tasty guitar. Good luck.
    He did say it was a chambered R8 so sounds like that may be the one! I’m trying it in the flesh next week so fingers crossed it’s a good one 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    artiebear said:
    He did say it was a chambered R8 so sounds like that may be the one! I’m trying it in the flesh next week so fingers crossed it’s a good one 
    Did he say how light it actually was?
    terada said:
    artiebear said:
    Very light, between 7-8lbs I think
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    terada said:
    artiebear said:
    Very light, between 7-8lbs I think
    Sounds excellent.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    artiebear said:
    Agree - so based on C889060 from above, then it sounds like it is, or should be CR8 - so first 8 is actually an R - 2nd 8 makes it an R8 - 9 makes it 2009
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Agreed - CR8.

Have a look at this site:  https://www.chambered-reissue.org/page8.htm