Dist/OD warming up?

What's Hot
grayngrayn Frets: 880
My main distortion pedal is a Blackstar LT Dual.
Which recently took the place of my Blackstar HT Dual.
Anyway, I've noticed that on heavy overdrive, the pedal initially sounds a little harsh.
But after 10 or 15 mins it seems to round out a little and sound much more to my tastes.
Can it be that this non-valve pedal is warming up or is it just my ears?
Any ideas FX experts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    What amp are you using?  It would make more sense that your amp is warming up or your ears are getting used to the sound. 

There's no germanium parts in one of those it's all silicon so temperature shouldn't affect it. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    I have no idea, but there is a well known phenomenon of drummers believing that cymbals warm up as you play them which is caused by them losing high frequency response as they blast their ears for an hour so it could be that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grayngrayn Frets: 880
    I play it through a Fender Mustang GT200, 'cause it sounds horrible through my Princeton.
    It probably is my ears but  I don't play overly loud.
    At least it sounds better, not worse.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    It's extremely unlikely to be any sort of warming-up effect, because nothing in a solid-state pedal gets hot, and even if it did there's really no mechanism for it to affect the sound as Adam_MD said.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Amp might be warming up or you ears are getting hearing fatigue and some of the harshness is lost I bit like when you keep turning you amp up towards the end of a gig. 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • grayngrayn Frets: 880
    Thanks guys.  Seems it's not the pedal then..
    Might be the amp but it's solid state, so seems unlikely.
    Must be the ears and how I perceive the sound, after having played for a bit.
    Interesting though.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Does it coincide with your central heating timer?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    grayn said:

Might be the amp but it's solid state, so seems unlikely.
    It you're playing loud it could be the amp, since solid-state amps also have components which get hot - and in fact, unlike valves, must not get too hot - or the speaker as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein