NGD MIK Lite Ash tele - what are the best replacement telecaster necks

What's Hot
hoofheartedhoofhearted Frets: 37
edited March 2019 in Guitar
Hi guys, I just got a Korean Fender Lite Ash tele in a trade and it seems to be a pretty cool little guitar for what i paid for it. However when I was giving it a set up I noticed that the truss rod allen key socket is wrung to almost a complete circle, so theres no way of getting a grip on it to make a turn. The neck has way too much relief on it so it will be impossible to get the action the way I like it.

So unless anyone knows of a way of getting around this i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of a good neck replacement. I was thinking of getting a baja tele neck but was wondering what else is good im especially interested in cheaper options!

Thanks Guys!

Heres the guitar:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/V7P4drmy4QpKsgh4A

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    If it's faulty i'd either ask to trade back again or ask for some cash from the person you traded with to get it fixed/replaced.

A Baja Tele neck would be worth getting though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    When I was asking a few months ago about replacing the bridge on mine someone mentioned that the neck was different to other tele's.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    That neck looks lovely and seems like it would be a shame to have to replace it. Is this something that someone like @FelineGuitars could fix?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Is there an option to permanently bond an Allen key to the nut to get it out and then replace it ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    neilg said:
    When I was asking a few months ago about replacing the bridge on mine someone mentioned that the neck was different to other tele's.
    It will certainly be worth measuring the neck and pocket dimensions before ordering any replacement.

King85 said:
    That neck looks lovely and seems like it would be a shame to have to replace it.
    Many of those Lite Ash series guitars came with birdseye maple necks.

King85 said:
    Is this something that someone like FelineGuitars could fix?
    It should be possible for an experienced repairer to remove the damaged truss rod adjustment nut and fit a suitable replacement. i.e. One not made out of cheese.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Genuine Fender replacement necks are very good and the real thing .They do need a fret level though and some drilling .You can get pricey Merican or cheaper Mehican .I love my one
    Here's my thread I mentioned above, reading the comments it looks like it could be quite complicated.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/143782/3-to-6-saddle-bridge-swap-on-a-korean-fender-tele#latest
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    If it's the no-overhang neck then a replacement will be hard to find. If the 22nd fret is on an overhang then any Fender spec Tele neck should fit.
    Mine doesn't have an overhang.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    edited March 2019
    Korean Fender was made under license to Mighty Mite, at the World guitars factory, so if you want the same get a MIghty Mite neck
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    GSPBASSES would make you one to your spec very reasonably 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3449
    You will be able to remove the nut, you could use a stud extractor with the tip removed, a reverse drill bit might work, a flat blade screw driver ground down to be a tight fit, we can get quite inventive at work with this type of thing, just make sure it isn't reverse thread and be careful, why would it be rounded out in the first place. You could JB Weld a key in there.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    You my find the  Chinese Modern Player Fenders have a 22 fret no overhang .Probably to stop sticking a Chinese Fender neck on something else but maybe in your case it will work in your favour
  • As well as the fingerboard overhang issue, many of these necks are wider at the heel - typically in the range of 57 - 58mm. A standard Fender neck is typically 55.6mm so replacements are difficult to source.
  • daveyh said:
    Korean Fender was made under license to Mighty Mite, at the World guitars factory, so if you want the same get a MIghty Mite neck

Yep looks like its a mighty mite neck alright thanks for the heads up! Do you know where to get mighty mite necks this side of hte world though?
  • If it's the no-overhang neck then a replacement will be hard to find. If the 22nd fret is on an overhang then any Fender spec Tele neck should fit.
    Its a 22 fret with an overhang, i tried a cheap chinese strat neck on it and it fits ok but its too nasty to keep on there! Does axecaster have anything in stock that would fit it?
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited March 2019 tFB Trader
    I used to be  Mighty Mite dealer but dropped them a few years ago when they downsized their operation while simultaneously increasing minimum order quantities 4 fold for the same dealer discount I was getting. That would require ordering 72 of each neck to keep prices the same with a stock list of 15 different models. (For the money the necks were great but the new pricing structure would have put them in the same price bracket as Allparts at my ordering levels)

Mighty Mite weren't contracted to make the guitars, they were just made in the same factory, run by Cort. When Cort moved their Korean business to Indonesia (involving a scandal about worker's conditions) both Fender and Mighty Mite production moved along with them. Hence the third iteration of Lite Ash being Indonesian.
    (I've replied to your pm with some options.)