String spacing

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7322
Does the string spacing of a neck need a matching spaced bridge? I've bought 3 necks, and realised that 1 is 1 5/8 spacing and the others are 11/16 (think that's right). The bodies are SCRelics strat ones, and I've got Wudtone Holy Grail and vintage bridges.

I think the 11/16 is les paul spacing which I didn't really want, so I've no issue selling them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72296
    Some people prefer a narrower bridge spacing than the neck was originally intended for - it stops the tendency of the E strings to fall off the fingerboard, which can be an issue with vintage Fenders. Fender themselves started doing that with the USA Standard series, and some of the Mexican ones do too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7322
    So it doesn't really matter, all my parts will be compatible I might just notice a little difference?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31557
    You'll probably notice the E strings being easier to fret than the closer spacing tbh.

I was so sick of the E strings falling off the fretboard on my vintage Fenders that I bought a vintage mount, but Mexican string spaced Wudtone for my partscaster. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WiWiWiWi Frets: 1
    Would the strings be slightly off from the neck pickup pole pieces?
    WiWi said:
    Would the strings be slightly off from the neck pickup pole pieces?
    Not that will make any difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31557
    On mine the narrower string spacing lines up with pole pieces better than vintage ones do. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7322
    Which is the original and 'correct' spacing? The wider one?
    DefaultM said:
    Which is the original and 'correct' spacing? The wider one?
    Yes. Although I wouldn't necessarily describe it as correct, since the Es falling off the fingerboard is a very well-known problem - it wasn't when the guitars were designed since strings were much heavier and they don't do that as much.

• Does anybody use threaded saddles on their Telecaster? I'm wondering if that would allow a change of string spacing?
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    Does anybody use threaded saddles on their Telecaster? I'm wondering if that would allow a change of string spacing?
    Yes, they do - although you often can't get it exactly how you want because there are only a fixed set of positions.

They're still my favourite Tele saddles though.

• ICBM said:
    Does anybody use threaded saddles on their Telecaster? I'm wondering if that would allow a change of string spacing?
    Yes, they do - although you often can't get it exactly how you want because there are only a fixed set of positions.

They're still my favourite Tele saddles though.
    Thanks. I may start looking for some.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent