I think I need some sort of fx pedal

I bought an amp that came with around 8 integrated  'basic' effects on it which at the time of purchase I thought would be plenty for my home nurdling.....but I think that I'm missing the overdrive channel/switch that my previous amp had. Dunno why as even with my very limited knowledge of 'overdrive' I was of the opinion that it sounded gash/was possibly defective, and used it infrequently. I don't really know my crunch from me fuzz or overdrive......but just feel that I need a pedal of this type.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    My first amp was one of those Vox VX amps. Too many knobs, settings, effects, I spent more time than you'd thought sensible fiddling around, rather than just playing. True, some effects alleviate the frustration when starting out, but soon tired of the faff and bought a proper valve amp.

As I've developed, I have since bought two small practice amps: a Yamaha THR10C and a Vox Mini 5 (or should that be a 5 Mini?), that are manageable, but generally tend to leave the knobs alone. And that's the point. Most people quickly find an acceptable tone (applies to any setup) and generally stick to it.

It's worth get the right amp first, before considering pedals. Where carefully selected pedals will enhance a good amp, but won't do much to improve a lesser amp (and more than likely make it worse).

If you are happy with what you have, and are experienced enough to balance fiddling with knobs to actually playing your guitar, then I suggest some time experimenting and getting it right before embarking on a quest for overdrive, fuzz etc.

If you really want a recommendation. I suggest a Peacekeeper for overdrive. I have one, and it's a brilliant pedal.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Depends what sort of music you like. Not everyone uses OD pedals.
    Fuzz is a useful sound to experiment with.
  • fandango said:

As I've developed, I have since bought two small practice amps: a Yamaha THR10C and a Vox Mini 5 (or should that be a 5 Mini?), that are manageable, but generally tend to leave the knobs alone. And that's the point. Most people quickly find an acceptable tone (applies to any setup) and generally stick to it.

It's worth get the right amp first, before considering pedals. Where carefully selected pedals will enhance a good amp, but won't do much to improve a lesser amp (and more than likely make it worse).

The amp I'm using is a Vox Mini 5 Rhythm. I can't seem to dial in a sound that I really like on any of the 5 or so 'higher gain' amp models. In fact the gain control knob is a mystery to me!......just seems to make guitar sound louder....which is what I thought the volume knob was for. Maybe  I need to spend some time just trying out different permutations.

Or maybe, because I'm so gash at playing, I'll never Sound like Gilmour/Iommi/Beck/Cream era Clapton/Kossoff.......lol.
  • StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
    edited March 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Depends what sort of music you like. Not everyone uses OD pedals.
    Fuzz is a useful sound to experiment with.
    I'll listen to and try to play most music styles. I think my problem is hearing a guitar style/sound and can't  even describe it let alone knowing how that sound was produced. I'm currently schmoogleing/Wikkying different guitarists playing style, sound and equipment set ups.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    If you can name specific artists/songs we can point in the right direction :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • If you can name specific artists/songs we can point in the right direction :) 
    That would be good. Probably shot myself in the foot as what rig set ups I've  seen on the Toob or Schmoogled include 'top end ' amps and many fx pedals. I reckon my Vox Mini 5, although adequate for an effect or three, is rather limiting.

I'm thinking that the sounds that I would like to have.....on my limited playing ability.....won't  be cost effective.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    StanleyAccrington said:

The amp I'm using is a Vox Mini 5 Rhythm. I can't seem to dial in a sound that I really like on any of the 5 or so 'higher gain' amp models. In fact the gain control knob is a mystery to me!......just seems to make guitar sound louder....which is what I thought the volume knob was for. Maybe  I need to spend some time just trying out different permutations.
    The Mini5 Rhythm is a great little amp, although I agree about the sounds becoming less useful above about 'UK 80s' (although that's one of the best sounds on it).

To get overdrive, turn the gain up and the volume down. It can also be useful to add a little Comp from the effects section - be careful, it gets very effective very quickly :).

The one really big limitation it has is that it doesn't take pedals well - the amp is trying hard to sound much bigger than it is, and if you put an overdrive in front it starts to sound quite boomy.

I also find it generally sounds better with the power switch set to 5W and the volume down, rather than either of the lower power settings with it up further, unless you're really trying to play at whisper volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    StanleyAccrington said:

The Mini5 Rhythm is a great little amp, although I agree about the sounds becoming less useful above about 'UK 80s' (although that's one of the best sounds on it).

To get overdrive, turn the gain up and the volume down. It can also be useful to add a little Comp from the effects section - be careful, it gets very effective very quickly :).

The one really big limitation it has is that it doesn't take pedals well - the amp is trying hard to sound much bigger than it is, and if you put an overdrive in front it starts to sound quite boomy.

I also find it generally sounds better with the power switch set to 5W and the volume down, rather than either of the lower power settings with it up further, unless you're really trying to play at whisper volume.
    Thanks for this. That's my Sunday afternoon sorted then.......getting to know my amp.
  • StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
    edited March 2019
    I've  checked out some websites regarding volume and gain.....these included.

http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=5345

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/amp-basics-gain-vs-volume
  • Getting more variety of gain and distortion sounds from my little amp now. Advice much appreciated thanks. Would like to get more sustain sound cutting through for when I butcher my Gilmour esque nurdling. Any advice? Do I need a sustain/boost pedal?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Getting more variety of gain and distortion sounds from my little amp now. Advice much appreciated thanks. Would like to get more sustain sound cutting through for when I butcher my Gilmour esque nurdling. Any advice? Do I need a sustain/boost pedal?
    As @ICMB says, a little bit of compression from the onboard effects will give you more sustain

Here's an affordable clone of Gilmour's 70s era Big Muff, will do exactly what you're after: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/70s-Triangle-NPN-Big-Muff-Fuzz-Clone-Pedal-Handmade-Great-Fuzz/192869004387?hash=item2ce7e37463:g:4hgAAOSwEUVbcdII

You'll need a power supply for it
  • Thanks....I'll try the amps compression effect again.....maybe changing the gain setting whilst using compressor effect will reap dividends.
    Thanks for the link for the pedal.....r u the seller?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7846
    fandango said:

Or maybe, because I'm so gash at playing, I'll never Sound like Gilmour/Iommi/Beck/Cream era Clapton/Kossoff.......lol.
    Experiment with one of the high gain settings. 
    Then turn the gain to zero, and volume to max. 
    You should get a nice light breakup tone at nighttime favourable volume levels.  As you add more gain (in tiny increments) it’ll get louder and more driven. 
    I’ve got a little Vox DA5 (unfortunately now dead), but I found some very lovely drive tones that way, 
    Your amp is a newer version of the DA5, it should work in a similar way. Add a touch of delay or Reverb, and you have nighttime noodling joy. 
    Good luck
    Marlin
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Thanks....I'll try the amps compression effect again.....maybe changing the gain setting whilst using compressor effect will reap dividends.
    Thanks for the link for the pedal.....r u the seller?
    No affiliation but I've bought a few from that seller and the build quality is top notch