Why don't high end modellers have dedicated aux ins?

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
As far as I can tell the only 'high end' modeller with a dedicated aux in is the Helix.

For all of the others - AX8, Amplifire, Boss GT1000, Headrush gigboard etc you have to use one of the effects loop returns.
Which is fine if you don't use any external effects. But not much good if you do.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    What do you want to use it for? 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited March 2019
    For playing over backing tracks, using headphones for late night practice.

I've got an Atomic Amplifire and am currently using the aux in for some external effects which supplement some of the areas where the Atomic effects are OK, rather than great (mainly some drives, reverb and pitch).

I could simply disconnect them from the loop and use it for an aux in instead. But then I can't use my external effects.
    And I also have to adjust the settings on the Amplifire to Aux in, rather than loop and I have to boost the levels a bit.  It's a faff, which would be solved by the addition of a dedicated aux in.

It's only an issue when using headphones. I have an aux in on my FRFR which I can use.

Initially I thiought this might just be a quick of the Amplifire, but they are all the same.

It made me wonder why more manufactuers don't include an aux in by default.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    NelsonP said:
    As far as I can tell the only 'high end' modeller with a dedicated aux in is the Helix.

For all of the others - AX8, Amplifire, Boss GT1000, Headrush gigboard etc you have to use one of the effects loop returns.
    Which is fine if you don't use any external effects. But not much good if you do.
    Helix doesnt have a dedicated Aux in

Plenty of ways you can configure one though so it's not an issue if that's what you want.  Expect the same goes for the others
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited March 2019
    My work round for this was I bought some Mackie CR3 monitors. They have an Aux in and a Headphone out on the left powered monitor (The right monitor is passive and runs off the left monitor) They are relatively cheap and killed 2 birds with one stone for me as I was after some studio monitors anyway.

So my Helix runs into the main inputs on the back of the powered monitor, then I have the Aux input and headphone out available on the front of the speaker for running my Laptop into and plugging my headphones in.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    there is always somebody that wants a product to do something it cant
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    there is always somebody that wants a product to do something it cant
    True, but external effects, aux in and headphones is probably not a completely unique 'use case'.

Full fat Helix does appear to have an Aux in. It's just the LT version that doesn't.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Hadn’t even noticed that.  I sometimes run a synth through the helix at the same time as the guitar and use one of the fx returns.
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 238
    The Aux in is a secondary guitar input which is more suitable for active guitars and basses. 

The fx returns can be used as mentioned and you could probably use the USB connection as an alternative.
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • As @PFAllen2 has already mentioned, why not the USB in like I do on the Boss GT-1000, which is a delightful little unit?
    Can you USB in from a phone? Or do you need to connect a PC?