Simple cost-effective delay unit - recommendations?

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
tl;dr
What delay would you recommend for an always-on single short repeat (to thicken up the basic sound)?  Needs to be neutral/'nice' to the overall tone, not be noisy or introduce horrible clicks/crap into the signal path, but as it's to do one simple job, ideally shouldn't cost the earth (Strymon need not apply).

I have nothing better to do than read tFB
I recently rejigged a mini-board to use for a "average situations/can't be arsed to carry the big stuff" solution. End result is I've decided I quite like having one delay on permanently on a single repeat, almost unity mix, very short delay time, just to thicken/enrich the basic sound. Then have another delay for "proper" delay.

On the mini-board I've achieved this by nicking a DD-6 off my main board, and using an Ibanez mini analogue delay as the always-on, and the Boss for longer repeats.

So, I'm thinking about replicating that on the big board. That used to have two delays (in a loop) - a Flashback X4 and the DD-6.

Obvious contenders for the always-on are a DD-6, DD-7 or another Ibanez mini, assuming I can get one at a suitable price. Given that all it's going to do is sit there for one repeat on a short delay, the DD-6/7 options seem like overkill, but I know I'm not overly keen on the Tone City Tape Machine which has put me off the super-cheapy stuff, and ... well, there are hundreds of options out there, so what additional saved searches should I have on Ebay at the moment?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    You could do worse than getting a TC Electronics Echobrain. Somewhere in the £35 region new. 

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Marshall Echohead? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I was going to suggest the Ibanez but you already have one.

Maybe the Mooer ana echo.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    I'm not averse to duplicating - it's for a different board, after all - more just spreading the net wider, as the Ibanez doesn't seem to come up often secondhand, and I'm too tight to drop £70+ on another new one, particularly as laziness means the mega-board doesn't get dragged out much at the moment.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    DD-3 (for short), DD-7 (long). This was my setup for absolutely ages, worked really well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dd2 is good. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    edited March 2019
    EH Memory Toy

I have two!
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 879
    I've currently got a Flashback Mini and Alter Ego V2 in my effects loop.  I leave the Flashback on all the time with a subtle setting and then switch in the Alter Ego when I want something more obvious.  I spent a while trying out different toneprints until I found one with just the right amount of modulation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    I've used an old Arion SAD-1 analogue delay for exactly this application for the last 30-odd years. Not too pricy secondhand.
  • TC Electronics Mimiq - does exactly what you describe, with useful variations. It just so happens... 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I'm another 'always on' delay person (well, it's off for one song, but hey!).

For me it's the Strymon El Capistan, which is perfect for me with the tap-tempo. With this in view, I'd suggest the much cheaper Nux Atlantic which I have as a backup for the El Cap; it's got nice delays, tap tempo and also a very nice reverb (which can be selected independently).

Otherwise I'd agree with @steamabacus and the SAD-1. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    The thought of an 'always on' delay makes me feel queasy, queasy.
    It's more qquueeaassyy, if not just queasy - very subtle thickening of the raw signal, so short you can't tell that it's actually a repeat. Really helps in a few situations I play in.
    Thanks chaps, quite a few to look at there.

For this particular one, tap tempo and the rest is pretty much redundant - I've got that on the "main" delay where it can come in handy. Much like a clean boost, the secondary (although it'll be first in the chain) unit is very much for a one-function thing. Fixed tempo, single repeat, almost no echo time at all, almost unity level.

The Mimiq is something I hadn't thought about, so will ponder that too - @downbytheriver if I think it might be a cool idea, get ready for an insulting offer :)
    Sassafras said:
    The thought of an 'always on' delay makes me feel queasy, queasy.
    Just imagine it used really subtly, taking the role of reverb - I never have the reverb turned up on my amp when playing live (well, occaisionally when playing outside where there's no room sound)

As others have said, it's almost imperceptible and works as a 'thickener'.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    How about the Dr Tone Analog Delay. It price doesn't reflect the quality of the sound which is excellent. Perfect for an always on, thickener.
    https://www.dawsons.co.uk/dr-tone-dly101-analog-delay-pedal
    JezWynd said:
    How about the Dr Tone Analog Delay. It price doesn't reflect the quality of the sound which is excellent. Perfect for an always on, thickener.
    https://www.dawsons.co.uk/dr-tone-dly101-analog-delay-pedal
    That looks like it might be a rebadged version of the Belcat delay...

I have one that I won as a prize in one of the composition challenges on here. It's a great little delay. Nice compact size too.

Mine ended up as part of my 'Stylotron' contraption ... yes, always on!  ....

• Snags said:

The Mimiq is something I hadn't thought about, so will ponder that too - @downbytheriver if I think it might be a cool idea, get ready for an insulting offer :)
    Insulting offers always welcome - response is not predictable though! 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Matt Schofield uses the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay for exactly that 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Another recommendation for that super cheap belcat delay. I’ve got a boss dd500 and a DM2w as well but for what you’re describing, the Belcat is surprisingly nice.  Can usually be had for about 15 quid s/h on ebay.