Sontronics SOLO dynamic mic - anybody tried these?

TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 181
Hi

I am looking for a reasonably-priced (£100ish) dynamic mic for live vocals. I sing mostly backing vocals in a rock band, although for a few songs I play a greater part. We're not hugely loud but even with a quietish drummer there is still a certain level of noisiness!

I am male, with a fairly deep voice. I had been looking at SM58s and e835s, but for roughly the same price, the Solo gets excellent reviews, is made in the UK, and looks interesting. Has anybody tried one?

On a side note: it appears we should have a 'Live Sound equipment' forum under the 'Gear' section - to discuss mics, cables, PA, monitors etc... from an equipment perspective. This thread is under the 'Playing' group which appears to be more related to technique etc. Perhaps I should have posted this somewhere else?

Cheers,
TJT
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 181
    Ok, I ordered a Solo. Once I've had some decent time with it I'll try to remember to report back here!
    Quick update...

The Solo is really good. Compared to an SM58, it provides a much stronger signal, and it much more clear and defined. Build quality seems excellent. My only complaint is the physical size of it... it's so thick that it doesn't work with standard generic mic clips.

We actually need another vocal mic, so I'll be getting an e935 just out of curiosity. Once I've got some time comparing them properly I will try to come back and write a comparison.

Highly recommended. Also note, if you email Sontronics they will send a list of current B-stock items. Cosmetic imperfections and cheaper prices.
    Haha, it seems it's just me in this thread! If anybody is actually interested, I posted a review & comparison with the Sennheiser e935 here:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/176711/sontronics-solo-vs-sennheiser-e935

It took a little while to write so hopefully it's useful to at least one person!

Cheers.
    edited March 2020
    Double-post!
    edited March 2020
    Double-post
    edited March 2020
    Double-post
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    I'll say thanks for everyone for posting this.  I use AT and Shure mainly for live vocals with a couple of EV's (we have 6 singers in the band).   How rugged are the Sontronics and Sennheiser?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    No, I've just read it too - and the interesting comprehensive comparative review. Thanks! 
    PhilKing said:
    I'll say thanks for everyone for posting this.  I use AT and Shure mainly for live vocals with a couple of EV's (we have 6 singers in the band).   How rugged are the Sontronics and Sennheiser?

Honestly I would say both are just as tough as the SM58. They both come with very long warranties. I would be surprised if you had issues with either. The Sennheiser has been around for a number of years now, and it's got a good reputation for reliability. The Solo is a bit newer but seems to be really well built.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I just got a B-stock one delivered yesterday and took it straight to practice. It's good, feels very rugged. In terms of sound, it's got a bit of a high end lift compared to an SM58, so there's less of that upper mid emphasis. It's also super-cardioid, so whereas the SM58 has one null directly behind the mic, the Solo has a rear lobe - and the null is a bit off the rear axis, which can work better for placement with a floor wedge.

Feedback rejection seemed good, strong signal, and the tighter pickup pattern meant that there was more proximity bass boost and also that for loud backing vocals that I wanted to sink back into the band mix, I could back off a bit further from the mic before I just vanished. That was nice.
    Yeah, that’s one of my favourite things about the Solo. Rejection is good but there is a decent range of usable distance on-avis, allowing you to back off without disappearing. 

How did you find the plosives? Mine is pretty bad without a foam windscreen, although that could be partly my bad technique. 
    edited July 2021
    I put a comprehensive review of mine in the Review section, comparing it with an e935. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    TJT1979 said:
    Yeah, that’s one of my favourite things about the Solo. Rejection is good but there is a decent range of usable distance on-avis, allowing you to back off without disappearing. 

How did you find the plosives? Mine is pretty bad without a foam windscreen, although that could be partly my bad technique. 
    I didn't find them a problem, but it's worth pointing out that it was just a live practice rather than a detailed test. That said, I quite like singing into my SM7b with the foam screen removed so I've probably internalised softening those P's, D's and "Wh" wind blasts
    Here's the comparison with the e935. Both good mics but I've settled on the Solo for my voice. I like the stronger low end and find there is more 'range' in terms of distance on-axis. The e935 is notably better on plosives and handling noise, but I use the Solo on a stand and with a windscreen.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/176711/sontronics-solo-vs-sennheiser-e935