Tubescreamer in front of OD pedal

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15958
A TS into an OD for a leg up in volume and a little more saturation.......war's the ballpark setting ( on teh TS) for a good starting point for this here application?

Thanks peeps   :)
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15958
    Since i am here.......what difference do active tone controls on an OD pedal make compared the the regular passive ones?
    tae be or not tae be
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Everything at noon and go from there. However....

Try putting it after the OD. One of my favourite things to do. It does the volume boost thing if you want to but can add gain and either really thicken things up or give you an extra mid cut for a solo boost or alternative gain tone. I sometimes run 2. One for thick gain and one for brighter gain. Usually after a clear/ transparent drive. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327

Try putting it after the OD. One of my favourite things to do. It does the volume boost thing if you want to but can add gain and either really thicken things up or give you an extra mid cut for a solo boost or alternative gain tone. I sometimes run 2. One for thick gain and one for brighter gain. Usually after a clear/ transparent drive. 
    I have compressor into overdrive into tubescreamer. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    I run a Keeley TS-808 into an OCD. The 808 gain is set at 10 o'clock, the OCD's at 1 o'clock. I can push the 808 more if I wish, but I suppose it depends on how much gain you have on the other pedal and whether you will encounter feedback, noise etc

When stacking, I like setting pedals low to medium gain and finding a useable setting that allows them to still be used individually.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420

I'd run the tubescreamer after most other ODs as well if i wanted a volume boost. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    hootsmon said:
    A TS into an OD for a leg up in volume and a little more saturation.......war's the ballpark setting ( on teh TS) for a good starting point for this here application?
    A Tube Screamer *is* an overdrive pedal... so whatever setting sounds best with whatever the other pedal is. It will vary depending on how you have the other pedal set.

As Kebabkid said, stacking usually works best when the pedals are set fairly conservatively rather than flat-out.

hootsmon said:
    Since i am here.......what difference do active tone controls on an OD pedal make compared the the regular passive ones?
    The tone control in a TS is actually a mixture of active and passive. Turning it down rolls off treble from the previous IC stage passively, turning it up actively boosts treble in the next IC stage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15958
    Many thanks all  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited March 2019
    I prefer a Clark gainster or clone for this job as it's less compressed and muddy.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I prefer a Clark gainster or clone for this job as it's less compressed and muddy.
    That's one to add to the build list I keep forgetting about the Clark Gainster. 
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Bad Monkey to boost OCD clone, then into Riot for me. Next week it will be............. well something else =)

Signed:  C. Apricious