What’s causing this unpleasant noise...

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4189
....apart from my playing that is...

Amp is a 57 Custom Champ, Tele going straight in, and as you can see it’s turned up quite loud (but only to about 7...not maxed).

It seems like there might be a few things going on at once...some rattle somewhere (I’ve tightened every screw and bolt I can find) and then that buzzy fart sound.

It’s only really on the low strings and I don’t play it cranked like this all that often but would be good to know if it was addressable or just inherent to the design.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

https://youtu.be/Iou9NapGDyU
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Do you mean "what's causing that absolutely great Neil Young amp-about-to-explode but at more sensible volume" sound?

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    That's why the Champ was considered such a great recording amp.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    All the tweed circuits give rise to flubb.Choice of speaker and the odd cap swap can help but at detriment to authenticity of vintage characteristics.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Sounds fine to me!  Use powerchords when the volume control is 'over half way'.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Sounds good to me too.

I love mi tweed.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    cone damage?
    Red ones are better. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Nowtwrong with that at all, has the guitar got humbuckers by any chance ?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4189
    edited March 2019
    Valves all seated properly, does it with different valves and also through another speaker, so I guess that's how it sounds. It's interesting how some of you can hear what I'm talking about (thus offering suggestions as to what it might be) and some of you can't hear anything wrong. Suggests it might be in the ear of the beholder....thanks for the inputs.
    edited March 2019
    I don't hear the same buzzy fartiness on this video at all....do you suppose close mic'ing just doesn't pick it up? 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12348
    I had a 5f1 and it sounds the right champness to me.  I found 2/3rds volume was sweet spot with single coil and half with humbuckers but mine had a 6 inch speaker not 8.
    sweepy said:
    Nowtwrong with that at all, has the guitar got humbuckers by any chance ?
    Nope it's a tele :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
    I've no idea if it is normal or not (though interested to know if the 600 Champion can do that sound too?!) but it sounds great to me.

The video you linked to just sends to have less gain to me, which could explain it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Lewy said:
    Valves all seated properly, does it with different valves and also through another speaker, so I guess that's how it sounds. It's interesting how some of you can hear what I'm talking about (thus offering suggestions as to what it might be) and some of you can't hear anything wrong. Suggests it might be in the ear of the beholder....thanks for the inputs.
    I can hear what you’re talking about, but it’s not anything wrong, it’s what they sound like.

It is accentuated by the small speaker, that’s true - try a 5F1 with a 12” speaker and you would be amazed how big and powerful it sounds.

I used to sometimes run mine through a 4-ohm-wired Marshall 4x12”...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2019
    ICBM said:
    Lewy said:
    I can hear what you’re talking about, but it’s not anything wrong, it’s what they sound like.

It is accentuated by the small speaker, that’s true - try a 5F1 with a 12” speaker and you would be amazed how big and powerful it sounds.

I used to sometimes run mine through a 4-ohm-wired Marshall 4x12”...
    Hmmm...maybe I’ll fish my old Boogie Thiele 1x12 out from the back of the garage...
    Lewy said:

Hmmm...maybe I’ll fish my old Boogie Thiele 1x12 out from the back of the garage...
    Make sure the amp is designed for an 8-ohm output... original Champs are 4-ohm, and running an 8-ohm load when fully cranked is risky for them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Lewy said:

Make sure the amp is designed for an 8-ohm output... original Champs are 4-ohm, and running an 8-ohm load when fully cranked is risky for them.
    Actually the amp’s Weber is 4 ohm so that idea’s out...
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I spent hours tracking g down a buzz/rattle with an amp of mine only to find it was a picture on the wall. And I was trying to figure out why it only happened when it was turned up!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Lewy said:
    ICBM said:
    Lewy said:

Actually the amp’s Weber is 4 ohm so that idea’s out...
    The Weber that was original equipment in my Rambler (pre Elsinore) was farty just like that. Try it through a different cab before you spend anymore time trying to diagnose it. Night and day compared to the Elsinore when I replaced it.