Iphone mic/Zoom q2n

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
edited March 2019 in Studio & Recording
I occasionally video either my daughter singing or me playing or at jams etc and just record on my iphone.  Picture is fine sound is okay at best. I stumbled across the Zoom q2n which is £130 and looks decent.  I wondered if it is any better quality sound than using an external iphone mic.  Amazon do mics at all price points, anyone use for jam recordings and any recommendations.

Not looking to spend a lot just would like improved sound than the phones own mic.

Wisdom appreciated.

Zoom do an IQ7 external mic for c£80 which seems to offer similar spec sound recording and plugs straight into the lightning drive on an iphone/ipad so I may try that.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    The zoom has a couple of features that make it well suited to coping with high volume. Beyond that, the room and mic position probably make a bigger difference to the end result than comparing with iPhone.

Iphone picture will be better too, although the zoom fish eye can be handy close up to get more people in the frame.

Being able to place a mic away from the camera is probably more flexible for rehearsal rooms.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
    I have taken a punt on the IG6 iphone mic for £65 delivered from amazon.  Has slightly different mic style to the 7 but a couple of reviews comparing the two suggested iq6 has at least as good sound quality but less features which help with after the event editing - which I have no interest in, I want it to sound more like it sounded in the room not less.

Will put up some footage after I give it a proper tryout.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
    Well I'm pleased with the IQ6, plugs straight in, powered by the phone and improves the sound quality noticeably through the phone speaker and really noticeably through decent headphones.

Will record some live stuff at the water rats jam on the 13th and post back with it.