Buffer for fuzz question

What's Hot
mbembe Frets: 1840
I have a Palmer Hurrigain fuzzy overdrive sort of pedal and it is lifeless (no gain or dirt), unless I put a buffered pedal in front of it. In this case I use a Korg DT-10 tuner pedal with a nice transparent buffer before the Hurrigain (base loosely on the Fuzz Face). Then it magically springs into life. 

My question is can anyone explain what's happening here and is it an impedance issue? I'm just using normal humbucker equipped guitars.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'd be looking at the cables and jack sockets not making proper connections.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    If it’s a Fuzz Face circuit I would check the input coupling cap, which is an electrolytic. If that’s failed I think it will do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    I had one of the first arbiter fuzz face reissues and it sounded absolute shite, but with a boss tuner in line with it sounded a lot better but still crap.   could not get rid of it quick enough.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Thanks for replies, I have tried the pedal in isolation from the board with other cables and no difference.

I have a multimeter to check capacitance. Can the electrolytic be tested in circuit or will I have to lift a leg?

Thing is, when I put the tuner before this pedal it sounds pretty good. I'd like to keep it, but I'm picking up an EHX Big Muff tomorrow that might serve the same purpose. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    mbe said:

I have a multimeter to check capacitance. Can the electrolytic be tested in circuit or will I have to lift a leg?
    You can test it in circuit if there’s nothing plugged into the pedal and the switch is set to on. Meter across the cap - measure resistance not capacitance - after the initial charging the resistance should rise to infinite.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM, I tested the coupling cap in situ and showed a dead short. Then I took the cap off the circuit board and it tests OK, resistance rises and the meter capacitance showed the correct value - 25 microfarad. 

Then I put the meter across the two pads for the cap and I seem to have a short circuit. I will have to have a look at a FuzzFace circuit diagram, there are a few knocking about the Internet,  and have a poke about with the multimeter.
    Found a couple of stray shards of solder on the board, cleaned it up and now it's working properly. Thanks for the help guys.