So I sold my Helix...

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
edited March 2019 in FX
After much deliberating I decided to go back to having a pedalboard with a loop switcher.

But as money doesn’t grow on trees I’ve decided to do it slowly and peicemeal. 

So as an interim, I went out and bought a TC Nova System off a guy locally. He had two and this was his spare. So condition wise it’s excellent.

After 10 days of getting used to it’s eccentricities. I have to say  I’m quite shocked. With a bit of judicious use of EQ I’ve even made the onboard drive useable. It sounds a bit like a Pro Co Rat2 so seems fine.

ive decided I’m going to use an additional drive to boost for solo’s an extra fuzz and an expression pedal and just use it for a while. But the sounds are ace and as long as I base all the preset switching on the principle of Verse/Chorus/Middle8. I’m getting by with just 3 presets per song.

Im really quite impressed 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited March 2019
    From what I’ve heard of the Nova System, it’s great if you add your preference for drive/boost/fuzz etc. I have a few mates that say they couldn’t ever be arsed to go back to single pedals, which is really the point of a Multi, right? And this is from people similar to me who don’t have the patience for a Helix or AxeFX which I’m sure are amazing but I would view as more of a studio tool. It seems to be “the multi for people who like single pedals.” I felt quite similar about the GT100 which I bought virtually on a whim but was almost immediately set up with some mod, delay and verb patches I liked and then left alone, and stuck on a board to gig with. Sounded great in the loop, had either a Visual Sound VSXO or an Ibanez TS and a Blues Driver out front. If you were to ignore my playing I could cover most stuff without even trying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Tc need to release an updated nova system. I spent another few hours pissing around with my pedal board last week. I prefer the tactile nature of being able to adjust physical settings, a Multi fx makes more sense though.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    The nova system sounds really good and the drive is analog.

The problem is it's horrible to program but get past that and it's great.
  • A big advocate of the Nova system, I loved mine and it was.. Nearly perfect, I'm really not sure why TC didn't update it. With a few additional features it coukd be awesome and give the competition a run for it money. For example adding tone print to the effects, adding a polytune. I gigged mine for years.
  • I sent TC my idea of what a tricked out Nova would look like about 5 years ago. They even reposted it on their Facebook page, but nothing fun has come out so far.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I sent TC my idea of what a tricked out Nova would look like about 5 years ago. They even reposted it on their Facebook page, but nothing fun has come out so far.
    Snap! I did a free videos also but nothing happened. I think they saw the G system as the step up but even that needs a massive update
  • At one point they were blowing out the G-System and I was hoping it was an indication of a new unit coming to market, but alas... no.

I wouldn't expect great things from TC for the next decade or so, personally. Not now that Tore is gone.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got a free Nova when I bought my G-System years ago.... guess which one got the most use!

ended up selling it for buttons as well. Stupid.

I really liked the overdrive on it. I have a Nova Drive too for a while.

wasnt a massive fan of programming it but I earned a lot of money with that little unit. In fact I think I'm going to go look for one on eBay right now.... cheers for that hahaha
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Gigged a Nova for 7 or 8 years. With a MIDI switcher to change presets, it was great.
    Went to a Boss MS-3 because of size and adding another pedals to the chain was great. Sold it today cause I have a HX Stomp now.
  • Love the Nova, at last count I guessed that I had at least 10 of them pass through my hands. 

If I ever switch back to an amp ill buy another one for sure. They sound great, are really cheap second hand and the midi switching is an ultimate bonus.

One of the best rigs I ever had was a Satriani JVM, Zilla 2x12 cab and a Nova in the loop and connected via midi to switch channels on the amp.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited March 2019
    One of the best live guitar sounds I’ve ever heard was Rick Fenn (10cc).

His rig was a Nova System into the front end of 2 Fender Hotrod deluxes running in stereo.