The song that switched your DNA to guitar.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
What was the one song, the single catalyst that turned your whole world upside down and wanted to make you play electric guitar beyond anything else in the universe?

Mutliple options do not apply here.. I just want to know the single instance/event that completely turned your world upside down!.

For me it was when I bought the single 'Hey Jude' and then stuck the B side on the record player.
It truly was one of those WTF! moments :)

Revolution: ...And it got me in the first - feckin' - three seconds!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9694
    Notwithstanding the fact that in the 90s and very early 00s when I was getting into music, there no was not much guitar music and the music that was around was shite, one could argue it was the lack of guitar that got me into guitar.

But in terms of an actual song, White Stripes Hardest Button to Button got me playing

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    Notwithstanding the fact that in the 90s and very early 00s when I was getting into music, there no was not much guitar music and the music that was around was shite, one could argue it was the lack of guitar that got me into guitar.

But in terms of an actual song, White Stripes Hardest Button to Button got me playing

Gotta say. that video is amazing. I've never seen it before so thanks for posting it up.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5403
    Doubt it was just one but ‘Tom Sawyer’ (or maybe ‘Limelight’) by Rush would have been pretty powerful at the time I first heard it “properly”. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    I'd been playing classical guitar since I was 8 or 9. It wasn't a song. Her name was Judith...  I converted to electric at the ripe old age of 17. 

Actually, it might have been a song, too. Helter Skelter, probably. Or Highway Star, maybe. 
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    I wish it was something a tad cooler, but it was definitely this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Quite late in life (and ages after the actual event) - John Mayer's Slow Dancing in a Burning Room from the live DVD

• Whatever Iron Maiden song I heard first on Carmageddon 2. Probably Aces High
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Scuttle Buttin by Stevie Ray Vaughan - on a Radio One documentary on the Fender Strat in '88, about 3 months after I'd started playing acoustic guitar.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12326
    It was a specific riff in I am the resurrection. Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up. I can't play it!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9694
    edited March 2019
    equalsql said:

Gotta say. that video is amazing. I've never seen it before so thanks for posting it up.
    Brilliant isn't it, think it was a Gondry one. I seem to recall they gave all the amps and drum kits to local schools afterwards as they obviously had a load spare...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up. Heard it when the Matrix came out as it’s the song at the end and it turned me onto rock music and the rest is history.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    On a compilation tape cassette(!) called “Chart Hits” which was my first foray into music, one song stood out from the pop dross I’d only ever been exposed to. It was New Years Day by U2. I’d never heard a sound like it before and the loud guitars, drums and vocals just spoke to me. Still love that tune!

https://youtu.be/vdLuk2Agamk
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    Andante in C. It was the theme tune to a black and white TV programme called “Tales from the river bank”. I realised that a guitar could play both melody and accompaniment.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I’m really struggling to recall, but I think it might have been this:

https://youtu.be/GLvohMXgcBo

• Say Mama - Gene Vincent. I still play that solo at every available opportunity. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2019
    Without a shadow of doubt, this was the exact moment. It may have taken me a few years to get there, but it was nagging at me the whole time! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    My dad had a mix tape called guitar greats.. and the first time i remember talking about wanting to play guitar was listening to Sabre Dance by Dave Edmunds.. i said that i didn't want to do songs i just wanted to do things like this :)

Layla was the first song that made me realise that there was a sound outside of radio pop that i had been looking for, but Dave Edmunds was the guitar catalyst.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Whatever Iron Maiden song I heard first on Carmageddon 2. Probably Aces High
    Hell yeah, we share the same beginnings!

I did enjoy the Demanufacture tracks on Carmageddon 1 equally much though.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    AC/DC "Rock n  Roll Singer" on my dad's record player. 

"I can see my name in lights, and I can see a queue.  I've got the devil in my blood telling me what to do....and I'm all ears"

Kind of resonated with 12 year of me.