The song that switched your DNA to guitar.

What's Hot

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    I think it was seeing the album cover of 12 Gold Bars by Quo.... I remember being intrigued by the finger shapes and mesmerised by the tracks on it..... Single song though is difficult to pinpoint though... I’ll have longer think :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Gold_Bars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3023
    edited March 2019
    From one of the first albums I bought; The Concept by Teenage Fanclub, the rhythm guitars sounded so good, and the solos just made me want to play a guitar. ..... also a picture of a turbo rat in the tape sleeve got me thinking about how they might have made the sounds. Still one of my favourite songs. 

https://youtu.be/7JYH1pVbqpQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    edited March 2019
    I wouldn't consider guitar the instrument I wanted to play beyond anything else but there are two songs that made sure I was going to learn at least the basics: Like @matdotcodot, one was Johnny B Goode; although Back To The Future was still err... in the future, so endless repeats of a Best of Chuck Berry album helped there. Although, then and now, I'd struggle to think of anything much cooler.

The other was one of the greatest riffs of all time:

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3450
    This, the fun they look like they are having!

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    "We've done four already, but now we're steady and then they went, 1... 2... 3... 4...,"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Not a song, but a Band. Queen/Brian May was the reason I wanted my first Guitar for Christmas back in 1986.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    In the supermarket yesterday my 14 year old daughter said she had started listening to nirvana. I got very excited and bought her it on vinyl on the spot. Whether it will inspire her to play guitar I don’t know as she has stopped playing once already. Yesterday evening I went in her room and she was sat cross legged on the floor listening to it. 

Im not sure why that made me so happy but it feels like the passing of a torch or something,
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Rainbow’s All Night Long with Graham Bonnet, Monsters of Rock, live at Donnington, 1980. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I was into Maiden and Sabbath from a young age but the one song/video that turned me onto guitar and more specifically Les Paul's was Gary Moores Still got the blues. I remember it airing on MTV and just thought yes! That's for me! It wasn't  until nigh on twenty odd years later that I'd own one.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897

For all the shit music my dad listened to, he did have some good stuff. When I first heard that I was hooked. Strangely I hate playing strats, but think that song has one of the greatest rock tones of all time. So raw and real sounding.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    munckee said:
    It was a specific riff in I am the resurrection. Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up. I can't play it!
    Which bit?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    the_jaffa said:
    munckee said:
    It was a specific riff in I am the resurrection. Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up. I can't play it!
    Which bit?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbU7oVz0Uq0

The bit that starts between the 2nd and 3rd choruses from 2:38 to 3:00.  I don't mean I can't play that riff I mean I can't play the song.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    Nirvana and the obvious Teen Spirit?? Though I first heard them through my older brother so could've been anything from Nevermind or maybe even Bleach I guess. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    For me it was 1977, Santana's She's not there was riding up the charts and the guitar playing was so exciting! Brilliant track
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    munckee said:
    the_jaffa said:
    munckee said:
    Which bit?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbU7oVz0Uq0

The bit that starts between the 2nd and 3rd choruses from 2:38 to 3:00.  I don't mean I can't play that riff I mean I can't play the song.
    Ah, yeah, that bit. Almost 30 years later and I’m still just struggling through playing the song. Can just about do something recognisable but nothing like accurate with all the little extra riffs around the chords
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    This song which first made me aware that the remarkable sound I was hearing was - specifically - an electric guitar was Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits.

The song which made me decide I actually wanted to play electric guitar was this.  And I've spent much of the last 40 years wondering why I'm so obsessed with something which I'm so fucking useless at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya0lTEBVY4w
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11294
    Foxy Lady - I was about eight when I heard it for the first time, and I've never been the same since.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    It was probably one of the following. 

Black Betty - Ram Jam or Life's Been Good To Me - Joe Walsh