Devin Townsend: Empath

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
edited March 2019 in Music
New album landed yesterday and it is pretty remarkable (and quite weird- think Death Metal Zappa).

Mike Keneally & Steve Vai guest on it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think you mean Death Metal Zappa with Showtunes!

I started listening to it / trying to comprehend it yesterday. Some glorious moments that remind me of Infinity. When I first heard Genesis I was a bit bewildered but it make perfect sense now. :)

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited March 2019
    First time I heard it I hated it, but then realised that it was just too much to take in all at once. On my second listen I actually started to enjoy it. The There Be Monsters segment in Singularity is gloriously over the top. I would like to see him try something more guitar centric again though instead of the symphonic schtick he’s become accustomed to.
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 584
    Listened to it a few times now.  I enjoyed it on first listen but can't say I fully took it in.  I'm still not sure I have, there's so much to it!  (And to all the bonus material on the 2 disc version).  Definitely an intense listening experience.
  • I just got the 2x CD deluxe version of Empath, along with the Plovdiv 3x CD and DVD set, that should shut me up for a while!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    have given it a quick listen, but at the moment it's a bit too all over the place for me. But I guess that's one of the attractions though, so I think it needs a few more spins. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28330
    I think I would have loved Devin when I was younger, but in my old age I find his stuff a bit too noisy and in your face (well, just some tracks I played on YouTube). I seem to have mellowed out somewhat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    axisus said:
    I think I would have loved Devin when I was younger, but in my old age I find his stuff a bit too noisy and in your face (well, just some tracks I played on YouTube). I seem to have mellowed out somewhat.
    Check out his album "Casualties of Cool".
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    octatonic said:
    axisus said:
    Check out his album "Casualties of Cool".
    It's beautiful.  I discovered it about 2 weeks ago and have been playing it on repeat.  It's like an exercise with a delay pedal.  I don't know if the drums qualify as Motorik but give me the same happy feeling.  I like the way every now and then you hear something in the mix that is quite definitely Devin.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Its a clusterfuck of a proggy film score with smatterings of nonsense metal.

Its great.

definitely not for everyone.

• schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited April 2019
    axisus said:
    In addition to Casualties of Cool, check out Ghost.
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited April 2019
    I just bought the 2 CD version of Retinal Circus. Only listened through it once so far but it sounds an absolute mess, a really horrible mix. Is the DVD version worth getting (or any better)?  I imagine I’m missing out a lot without the visuals.  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24240
    boogieman said:
    I just bought the 2 CD version of Retinal Circus. Only listened through it once so far but it sounds an absolute mess, a really horrible mix. Is the DVD version worth getting (or any better)?  I imagine I’m missing out a lot without the visuals.  
    The Albert Hall blueray is great.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    edited April 2019
    boogieman said:
    I'm a relatively new listener to Devin and recently bought the Bluray of the Retinal Circus @boogieman ;;and it's absolutely brilliant. Honestly one of, if not the best live performance I've ever seen Everything seems to make so much more sense with the visuals. It's totally bonkers and extremely funny at times (the conversation between Ziltoid and his missus is lol funny).

I love every second of it, although, to me, the songs featuring Anneke are the standouts. She really adds something special to every song she appears on.'Where We Belong' and 'Life' bring a tear to my eye every time, it's that affecting.

Not got round to buying Empath yet as I'm enjoying getting through his (extensive) back catalogue.I can't state how happy I am to have discovered Devins music. It's brilliant.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Thanks both.