HX Stomp FX loop question

What's Hot
sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
If I was to plug the output jack of the hx stomp into my amps fx loop return only, would I be bypassing the preamp of my amp entirely allowing me to use the amp models in the stomp instead without having to sacrifice a block to S/R? Would it sound any good more importantly? I basically want to try using my amp as just a power amp and getting all my preamps from the stomp without having to use 4 cables.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    Yep, this works. There’s a diagram in the manual/on the website I’m sure
  • sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
    Yep, this works. There’s a diagram in the manual/on the website I’m sure
    coolio. havent bought it yet but tempted. just so crap that a) it doesnt have TRS channel switching ability and b) doesnt have changeable midi PC/CC's. And as someone who likes to primarily get his gain from his amp this is a big downside for me.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    I also like to get gain from my amp bud, and haven’t had any issues with running it in the loop.

What do you mean by changeable midi pc/cc’s? 
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Yes but don't forget to turn off speaker sims? In reality this will probably mean using the preamp only patches rather than amp+cab
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I also like to get gain from my amp bud, and haven’t had any issues with running it in the loop.

I have a Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit 200 which only has a midi channel switcher. I was hoping I could have presets saved on stomp that has specific channels on the amp incorporated into them but apparently the hx stomp isn’t able to do that if guy in shop is to be believed. 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    sjo89 said:

I have a Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit 200 which only has a midi channel switcher. I was hoping I could have presets saved on stomp that has specific channels on the amp incorporated into them but apparently the hx stomp isn’t able to do that if guy in shop is to be believed. 
    It can. You can do it in a couple of ways. Either send an instant command when you go to a preset or assign commands to a foot switch(s). 

Just out out of interest, where did you get it from? I’m about to embark on a training tour so want to make sure I get the right people trained. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

sjo89 said:

It can. You can do it in a couple of ways. Either send an instant command when you go to a preset or assign commands to a foot switch(s). 

Just out out of interest, where did you get it from? I’m about to embark on a training tour so want to make sure I get the right people trained. 
    guitarguitar glasgow. hmmmm this changes things
    sjo89 said:

could you elaborate on how i can send specific cc's from the stomp please?
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    @sjo89 right, I'm actually talking a slight amount of bullshit. I haven't delved into the midi side of HX yet so made wrong assumption s and I've had a suitably strong word with myself. 

You can't assign midi commands to a footswitch. However, it can still send midi program changes so you can still change channels and do what you want. Just need to make sure everything is on the same midi channel. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

@sjo89 right, I'm actually talking a slight amount of bullshit. I haven't delved into the midi side of HX yet so made wrong assumption s and I've had a suitably strong word with myself. 

You can't assign midi commands to a footswitch. However, it can still send midi program changes so you can still change channels and do what you want. Just need to make sure everything is on the same midi channel. 
    right. so I cant have two different hx presets send the same PC to the amp? That wouldn't really be an issue though. As long as I can press one button on stomp and select a snapshot and amp channel at the same time.