Zoom MS-70 CDR

What's Hot
freemeatfreemeat Frets: 29
edited April 2019 in FX
After Low blowing my head off with their avalanching walls of sound a few months back, I wanted to try play around with reverbs and delays. I had a Hall of fame but sold all my delays yonks ago. I also just got a minilogue and wanted something that might help get odd sounds. So I ended up with one of these secondhand.

Reviews said it was "surprisingly good" and it was only 60 quid delivered, so I grabbed it. This thing is unreal and solidly built. It has a bunch of presets loaded in and they all sounded impressive and full and just not what I expected. Then I started going through the individual pedal models and was blown away. Loads of great sounding choruses, trems, vibes, delays, reverse delays, reverbs, reverse reverbs, filters, gates, bitcrusher, eqs and even a fucking tuner. Most models seem to be clones of existing popular (ehx, strymon, boss, eventide, tc electronic) and boutique (red panda particle!) pedals. You can stack up to six of them together and save it as one of the presets. Seems like there's space to save over 50.

I had an old zoom multithing before and it sounded terrible. This is nothing like that. They do an od and distortion pedal too, with tubescreamers and rat clones etc. Going to look out for it cheap.

Here's a comparison with one of the pedal clones vs a strymon off the YouTube. 

Hall of fame is now sold. As is my small clone. Might get rid of my trem and eq too after I a/b them with this. Great pedal and seem to be cheap secondhand.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Yep, these are really impressive pedals. The only bad thing about them is that they're packed with so many examples of some sounds that you can go crazy deciding, say, what chorus sounds best. Especially after the update which crammed even more stuff on. But really great sounding pedal!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Yep, really regret selling this one. I had the MS50G but loaded it with the MS70 patches. The bitcrush was amazing, and I've never found a reverse reverb I liked as much as this one. Even the experimental delays are great. I was going to get the G3 to have more immediate control but I don't think it has some of the patches I liked from the MS pedals. 

It's telling you see it on a lot of 'pro' boards. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • freemeatfreemeat Frets: 29
    Yeah. I came into this expecting to be disappointed and wasn't. I think the 50G has almost all the toneprints as the CDR? Are the od/Distortion ones any good? 
  • The auto wah is great 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    I really want to set up a patch with six dual-trems on it and see what happens :-)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited April 2019
    I've said it on here a few times, when I had the MS-50G, as impressive as it was, it seemed to mess with my board and there was noticeable tone suck. Sold it and nabbed the MS-70 CDR as essentially, I needed the delays and modulations and not the preamps or distortions, and the problem went.

I've had it since it came out and since then, I've downloaded the free firmware giving quite a few things from the MS-50G (not the preamps which I think may have been the issue) and it really is a Swiss Army Knife pedal that punches well above its weight. I'd recommend the firmware download if you haven't done it already.

Even as a Tuner and just one of the Modulation, Reverb & Delay pedals, it's worth the price, but when you factor in pitch stuff, trems, filters etc, it's terrific and let's face it, some of these effects might be ones for studio or occasional use, and so knowing they're to hand without having to invest in the specific pedal is a boon.

Yep, live, navigation between presets can be a PITA as you have to cycle through them. However, Gassage mentioned that the Dave Gilmour in one of the Pink Floyd tributes was using a couple of these.

No brainer for me, and for quite a few here. With used prices at £40-50? Come on!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Also Zoom's noise reduction is really really good. Even if I'm not using any other effects I have that on. I put it at the beginning of the chain, then have the line selector block - which means the footswitch can add all the effects or take them away, but the noise reduction stays on.

• I have a ms70cdr from when they first came out.great bit of kit.!
     I haven't uploaded the new download.what extra does it give you.is it easy to do?  Not that clever with computers  :s
    I have a ms70cdr from when they first came out.great bit of kit.!
     I haven't uploaded the new download.what extra does it give you.is it easy to do?  Not that clever with computers  :s
    51 effects over stock. Details here - https://www.zoom.co.jp/MS-70CDR_update

• Great thanks.Will have a go at the weekend 

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Thanks to this thread I bought one.

Sad I didn't do it about 2 years ago.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I’ve had a couple of the MS50Gs for a while nd they’re awesome. Top-class effects and the secret weapon is the Fender amp sim - totally awesome. For anything where I need to plug into a desk or mixer or can’t be bothered to mic an amp, it’s straight in with the Zoom. Wouldn’t be without it, a total desert island pedal. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    Picked up a MS70 last week, mainly because I wanted to run synths through it but it sounds so good on guitar I may have to make it a permanent addition to my guitar board.

How are you guys powering it? it seems quite power hungry. I guess the other thing is that its not very convenient for live use but I can cope with that, I'm only amusing myself these days anyway. 
    I found it runs quite a while on a pair of rechargeable AA batteries.

Though I tend to use it with my Warwick Rockboard rechargeable power supply/

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    It's great if you're ok with fiddling.  It showed me that that I'm not, turns out I prefer stuff with a couple of knobs, dial and play, but to each their own.
    Just discovered an effect on this pedal which is basically the EQD Rainbow Machine. That's pretty amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    Which one's that Joe? 

JohnPerry said:
    Which one's that Joe? 
    I think it was PitchDly but I'll try and check later, and if you faff with the dials you can get it to do that weird ascending and descending 'Magic' thing the Rainbow Machine does. The MonoSynth setting was pretty good for bass lines when combined with reverb and delay too. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    clarkefan said:
    It's great if you're ok with fiddling.  It showed me that that I'm not, turns out I prefer stuff with a couple of knobs, dial and play, but to each their own.
    That's me out then!
    munckee said:
    clarkefan said:
    That's me out then!
    I'm not a huge fan of fiddling - I've found it OK. You can just cycle through every effect on there and most of them are at a pretty helpful starting point. And with each one you can just twiddle the dials like you would on a Boss pedal to change the sound. You can even place up to six in a chain like you would on a pedalboard. I sort of feel like if I can work it out, most can. Just depends whether you can be arsed I guess.