Norm's "New Guy"

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
edited April 2019 in Guitar
With Agnesi gone to Nashville, Norm's channel has a new guy whose name I haven't remembered yet, but he seems good so far. I don't think I like his presenting style quite as much as MA, but the playing is lovely, especially on this Strat vid.

I just love this, and adds to my "maple Strats just sound better" argument, which never helps GAS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPTckUW-Z3M
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    Michael Lemmo. I enjoyed Mark Agnesi's interpretations of classic songs, but Lemmo is *way* more imaginative. I think his presenting style is quite endearing - young guy coping with being thrust into the limelight with puppylike enthusiasm. His weak point though is that he doesn't have Agnesi's encyclopaedic knowledge of the history of guitar production. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    edited April 2019
    yeah, agreed. He'll get better at presenting as he does more of it.

I love his playing from 7:30 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu4qfro9hXU

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I like Lemmo, like @thermionic says his presentation I find refreshing and endearing, not as slick as Mark but different.  

Great player as well, it was good to see someone do something different rather than just replicate Mark's style/playing.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    I like him, all he needs to do is learn what the different specs are for vintage guitars, it takes time 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I very much enjoy him and his playing.

Plays much, much better and longer and seems less in love with his internet persona - Mark started off great, but it went to his head.

I must say I find the whole shop a strange place (having never been), they've got this active Youtube presence but their website is never close to up to date and they almost never reply to emails - if they're that old skool, why have Youtube?

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    OH and to add, the new guest presenters are great - Rudy was great on the bass last week
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I think Marks first presentations were not too polished, the persona and style evolved a bit over a period of time (which made it easier to create each daily episode).
    I liked the way he did competently played slightly inaccurate renditions of well known songs to avoid being called/pulled on copyright.  He also tried to select appropriate material if possible. Whilst he had an impresive knowledge of guitar history I'm sure he had access to a library of facts to cross check before embarrasing himself on screen.
    Good Luck to Mark and good luck to Michael, not that they need my blessings. Living the dream while I shuffle spreadsheets! ;-)

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2365
    Lemmo took over the GOTD but its actually Todd Wisenbaker who is actually the new guy....think he played guitar for Ryan Adams...... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNSa_e6Wx4w&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3KFjEazsRtbU2DyTeI-nC_XLWYMNlAaZuZJlH-jXIul5vr-GtiNvlWigY

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    With Agnesi gone to Nashville, Norm's channel has a new guy whose name I haven't remembered yet, but he seems good so far. I don't think I like his presenting style quite as much as MA, but the playing is lovely, especially on this Strat vid.

I just love this, and adds to my "maple Strats just sound better" argument, which never helps GAS...

Ooo that sounds really nice. Is the first piece he plays a song or improv? If it's a song anyone know what it's called?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    King85 said:

Ooo that sounds really nice. Is the first piece he plays a song or improv? If it's a song anyone know what it's called?
    Just improvised I think. Really nice bit of playing
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited April 2019
    Damn, that was really good. That pup switch wahing :+1: 
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 300
    Looks like a cool guy and I really dig his playing. I believe he presents the guitars in a better way.

On the downside, Agnesi's wife can be still heard as background noise with fake laughs and semi-hysterical reactions. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    antonyiv said:
    Looks like a cool guy and I really dig his playing. I believe he presents the guitars in a better way.

On the downside, Agnesi's wife can be still heard as background noise with fake laughs and semi-hysterical reactions. 
    That's not Mark's wife - the camerawoman is called 'Jen' and works in the store.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Michael Lemmo has already done demos on cheaper budget guitars in the past. Not a lot though, and has played his own riffs on those vids.
    He just released an album on spotify in the last month or so , which includes riffs he has used in some of the demo vids.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I think Lemmo has managed to be incredibly consistent in his playing quality and likeability so far. I'd probably bump him up to my favorite person to listen to for this sort of stuff, even more so when he's playing guitar as unbelievably stunning as this:

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    I hear that he's just been made Fender's "Director of Brand Experience".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nice playing and lovely tones <3
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • He needs to bring out his own loop pedal called the 'Lemmo Looper'
  • YasawasYasawas Frets: 27
    I, uhhh, had to stop, uhhhh, watching this daily because, uhhhh, little speech tics like that drive me crazy. I know it's not his fault and he's not a presenter but I've started dipping in again and he seems to have improved and gained confidence a lot which is great to see. I loved Mark but Lemmo's taste in guitars is way wider and more interesting to me at least and his playing is superb. That version of Let Down on a sparkly Tele the other day was just magic.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    I think he should ditch the looper, it should be about the sound of the guitars not his flashy playing