Hold The Line by Toto Solo

What's Hot
r_peggior_peggio Frets: 18

Hi all,

Just needing some tips really on learning this solo.  I've got all of it down except for the the fast run section.  Just wondering if anybody has learnt it and if so what process did they go through?  Is it just a case of building up the speed with a metronome?  Are there any tips with regards to picking and which notes should be up or down strokes that might make it easier?  I realise this is a pretty hard solo so will take some time but it doesn't feel like i'm making mmuch progress at the moment and I've been working on it every day for about 3 weeks.

Thanks 

Dan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    We play that live and I tap my own part during that phrase rather than learning the Lukather version. I do this for two reasons:
    • I can't play his version ;-)
    • I wanted to make it my own
    So not sure really that its any help, but mostly now I enjoy picking the recognisable, melodic sections from a solo and stick closely to them, but if there's a fast bit, I take the general feel that's in my head and try to do something like that. Normally there's a couple of anchor point notes that I know I want to hit, so the things in between them are an amalgamation of techniques that I currently know, but with new patterns to them.

It doesn't really answer your question, but I used to want to religiously learn solos as a means to have fun, gauge progress and get licks under my belt. I now find composing my own sections more challenging and fun.
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

If you search Youtube there is an old video of Luke himself showing the whole solo. Other stuff on there too. I had a quick look but couldn't find it.

After watching it, I still do it my own way (and hope Luke isn't in the audience).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited June 2014
    I stay close to the original but do an approximation of that run, well, there's 2, and as hubobulous says, go for the anchor notes and add in some of your own stuff. Live,  I've even seen Lukather tap some stuff in that solo.

Here's a tutorial which may help -
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    First thing to remember is, it's not in the way that you tell it... it's not in the way you declare loyalty... it's not in the way you return ... or how your powerful emotions liberate the listener ... it's not in your presentation or any statements of intention you make..
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Love this song but I always chuck in my own solo on it. I always thought of as being not as anthemic as some of his other work but, looking at the above vid, some of those licks are really cool. It just goes to show what a terrific player Luke is. Might have to have session on this one :)
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I've played it live a couple of times recently but I've always gone legato for the fast section. I just can't get anywhere near the speed and accuracy for picking that middle section. Here's the video and tab I used to learn it:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    ^^ Prefer this one. Awesome clarity on the picking section. Nails the bends and vibrato too.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I agree too- he nailed it ^^