Auto tune

What's Hot
Does any folks out there have any experience with auto tuning vocals using auto tune software (and/or manually)? 

I have been trying to use auto tuning software to tweak vocals, but without much success. Btw, have been mainly using the auto tuning plugin which comes with Reaper. I use the Reaper DAW for all of my recording, although have also dowloaded some other auto tuning plugins.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've used a few vocal effects pedals with pitch correction or hard tune. Probably not the same thing, but generally they only work well if you're very close to the note you're after. 

I've never used one post recording though. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    I have been using Melodyne for the past 3 years. I use it with Logic but it also works with Reaper and other DAWs. Have a good read of this page and watch some videos about how it works.
  • Yes, but I use the graphical mode of Auto Tune and do it manually. 

I also have Melodyne but I prefer using Auto Tune. I don’t have experience with Reaper.

Depending on the result you want the performance itself has to already be close to what is needed, and you have to go by ear and not just eye when editing.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Yes, but I use the graphical mode of Auto Tune and do it manually. 

I also have Melodyne but I prefer using Auto Tune.
    Same here.
    I use Melodyne for non vocal pitch correction- guitars/bass/keys etc.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3653
    Without Autotune, and now Variaudio in Cubase pro, I wouldn't have dared let anybody hear any of my solo demos.  As others have said, the closer you are to correct pitch to begin with the better it is.  I use it to correct vocals but also to tweak the odd pitch bend on guitar where it would have ruined an otherwise perfect take.  I've also used it on fretless bass.

Graphic mode and use your ears, not just your eyes.
  • I've used a few vocal effects pedals with pitch correction or hard tune. Probably not the same thing, but generally they only work well if you're very close to the note you're after. 

I've never used one post recording though. 
    That sounds very interesting with the pedals, Legion. Thanks. :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    Ive played with waves tune once or twice but find the workflow really irritating even with ARA.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Yes, but I use the graphical mode of Auto Tune and do it manually. 

I also have Melodyne but I prefer using Auto Tune. I don’t have experience with Reaper.

Depending on the result you want the performance itself has to already be close to what is needed, and you have to go by ear and not just eye when editing.
    Yes, I have been using Reaper's autotune manually too. :) I also realise the vox need to be relatively good or in place at the start. :)
  • Musicwolf said:
    Without Autotune, and now Variaudio in Cubase pro, I wouldn't have dared let anybody hear any of my solo demos.  As others have said, the closer you are to correct pitch to begin with the better it is.  I use it to correct vocals but also to tweak the odd pitch bend on guitar where it would have ruined an otherwise perfect take.  I've also used it on fretless bass.

Graphic mode and use your ears, not just your eyes.
    I only use it for vocals when needed. Well, I have only just started to use autotune, as I thought it was needed on a particular track.
  • Thank you all for the feedback! :)
  • Whistler said:
    I have been using Melodyne for the past 3 years. I use it with Logic but it also works with Reaper and other DAWs. Have a good read of this page and watch some videos about how it works.
    Thank you Whistler! I am going to check your link out now! :)
  • Whistler said:
    Thank you Whister! Going to check your link out now! :)
  • Whistler said:
    Thank you Whistler! Going to check your link out now! :)
  • Whistler said:
    Thank you Whistler! Going to check your link out now! :)
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3653
    Different people react in different ways when you mention Autotune.  I worked with one singer who grew in confidence because they knew it was there if need be.  Naturally, they didn't need it.  I've also worked with a vocalist who stated that they wanted nothing to do with it and that their pitching was spot on.  Of course they were a mile off and I spent many hours in between sessions fixing things - they couldn't tell that Autotune had been used (although I thought that it sounded pretty obvious).
  • Musicwolf said:
    Different people react in different ways when you mention Autotune.  I worked with one singer who grew in confidence because they knew it was there if need be.  Naturally, they didn't need it.  I've also worked with a vocalist who stated that they wanted nothing to do with it and that their pitching was spot on.  Of course they were a mile off and I spent many hours in between sessions fixing things - they couldn't tell that Autotune had been used (although I thought that it sounded pretty obvious).
    It is a bit of a dilemma when you do the autotune, but don't tell them. Of course, would rather not have to bother with autotune or manually tuning as it is so time consuming and would of course, rather have a singer hit the right notes in the first place. :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Musicwolf said:
    It is a bit of a dilemma when you do the autotune, but don't tell them. Of course, would rather not have to bother with autotune or manually tuning as it is so time consuming and would of course, rather have a singer hit the right notes in the first place. :)
    It isn't much of a dilemma really.
    You just do it- whatever it takes to make them sound good, unless the specifically tell you not to use a tool
    I've never had anyone tell me 'not to use autotune' because I usually don't tell them I'm doing it- why borrow trouble.

I don't particularly like use pitch correction or gridding drums and it is a pleasure to work with professionals who don't need it.
    I produced and mixed an album with Dave Kilminster (guitar) and Darby Todd (drummer) on it.
    I didn't need to edit a note or even work very hard to mix them- their playing was exceptionally brilliant.

Most of what I do is in a different league in terms of raw material so you use the tools you have and keep your mouth shut about what you are doing.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    edited April 2019
    I use Waves Tune ... because I couldn't afford Autotune or Melodyne!  But it's very, very good at the price if a little fiddly at times.

My thinking is I'd rather have a good, soulfull performance that I have to correct in places than a pitch perfect but sterile performance.

Makes little difference with my vocals mind, they are neither soulfull or pitch perfect!
  • octatonic said:
    Musicwolf said:
    It isn't much of a dilemma really.
    You just do it- whatever it takes to make them sound good, unless the specifically tell you not to use a tool
    I've never had anyone tell me 'not to use autotune' because I usually don't tell them I'm doing it- why borrow trouble.

I don't particularly like use pitch correction or gridding drums and it is a pleasure to work with professionals who don't need it.
    I produced and mixed an album with Dave Kilminster (guitar) and Darby Todd (drummer) on it.
    I didn't need to edit a note or even work very hard to mix them- their playing was exceptionally brilliant.

Most of what I do is in a different league in terms of raw material so you use the tools you have and keep your mouth shut about what you are doing.
    Oh, I know who Dave Kilminster is. I used to buy the magazine 'Guitar Techniques' back in the day. He did lessons in the mag.

Yes, I don't want to be farting around with autotuning vox either. Song is done now, so will have to persevere. :D
  • Bezzer said:
    I use Waves Tune ... because I couldn't afford Autotune or Melodyne!  But it's very, very good at the price if a little fiddly at times.

My thinking is I'd rather have a good, soulfull performance that I have to correct in places than a pitch perfect but sterile performance.

Makes little difference with my vocals mind, they are neither soulfull or pitch perfect!
    Ahh, I'll have to check out Waves. I downloaded a couple of freebies already and have been playing around with them. I checked out Melodyne and I won't be buying that software - would rather buy a decent guitar at that money! Haha!! :dissapointed: 

Thank you Bezzer! :)