Wiring a push pull pot in a Strat?

What's Hot
I have a wiring harness bought on this very platform a few moons ago. I want to use it in my hardtail Strat I have assembled but it has a push/pull pot and I am not sure I really want to use it as a designed - plus, I only have standard knobs. 

Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram so that is operates as a normal pot with it pushed down?  Or if you can think of a good reason to use it on 3 single coils then I am all ears as long as the wiring doesn't require a masters in engineering... Pic below in its current state (not even sure what this will do if wired in as is...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    The pot always works as expected. Only the mechanism for the switching contacts raises and lowers.

The connections visible in your photograph are correct for adding one of the pickups to whatever the selector switch has engaged. (Usually, it will be the neck or the bridge position pickup.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
    edited April 2019
    Thanks @Funkfingers ;; so on the pot D is connected to neck position on the switch already. Where should E be connected to? Also doesn't that mean the pot will need to be pulled up to engage ?
    edited April 2019
    The signal leaving terminal “E” needs to go to the volume pot.

Connect it to either the input terminal of the volume pot or one of the wiper/collector terminals on the selector switch.

lovestrat74 said:
    doesn't that mean the pot will need to be pulled up to engage?
    Correct. Pull up the control knob to add the neck pickup.
    The signal leaving terminal “E” needs to go to the volume pot.

Connect it to either the input terminal of the volume pot or one of the wiper/collector terminals on the selector switch.

lovestrat74 said:
    doesn't that mean the pot will need to be pulled up to engage?
    Correct. Pull up the control knob to add the neck pickup.
    Okay cheers - need to do a bit more homework  :)

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    If you have the option - on a Stratocaster, a Push-Push pot is much more ergonomic - since it's difficult to pull up a strat knob.

Push to engage, push again to disengage (but you probably knew that already)

These ones sold by Gavin at Axecaster are particularly nice and have a 9mm shaft which is compatible very nicely with CTS holes in pickguards.

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/u0DBUwi.jpg)

https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=126

jaymenon said:
    If you have the option - on a Stratocaster, a Push-Push pot is much more ergonomic - since it's difficult to pull up a strat knob.

Push to engage, push again to disengage (but you probably knew that already)

These ones sold by Gavin at Axecaster are particularly nice and have a 9mm shaft which is compatible very nicely with CTS holes in pickguards.

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/u0DBUwi.jpg)

https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=126

Ideally I'd just have 3 CTS pots, but wasn't aware one of them was push/pull when I bought it  :s

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Ideally I'd just have 3 CTS pots, but wasn't aware one of them was push/pull when I bought it  :s

The push pull switches are two things just built into one unit.  It is a standard pot and, separately, a dpdt switch.  So just ignore the switch bit and wire the pot itself up as if it was just a standard pot.
    There are loads of standard strat wiring diagrams around, but this one is probably as good as any
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams?meta_params=guitar-options,3-pickups,neck-s,middle-s,bridge-s,1-volume,2-tone,5-way-blade
    That is the traditional circuit - except for the capacitor value.

Modern variations include a .022uF capacitor for the tone controls and a jumper wire on the selector switch bridging the lower tone control connection to the unused terminal right next to it. The lower control then works on both the middle and bridge pickups.

The push pull switches are two things just built into one unit.  It is a standard pot and, separately, a dpdt switch.  So just ignore the switch bit and wire the pot itself up as if it was just a standard pot.
    This is what I was looking for - just wire it like a normal pot and the push/pull is ignored..

This is what I was looking for - just wire it like a normal pot and the push/pull is ignored..
    Yes - exactly right

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom