Removing a Tru-Oil Finish from a Maple neck

What's Hot

How would I remove a Tru-Oil finish from a maple strat neck please? I put on only two or three coats in the first place.

I'd like to apply an amber tint to the wood (so it matches a vintage-y coloured body that I have) and then re-apply Tru-Oil...

It has a rosewood fingerboard - so only ends to be removed from the back (and of course the headstock).

Expert opinions deeply appreciated.

Jay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    Sanding, I took a poly finish off the neck pretty easily by sanding, a thin truoil finish shouldn’t take long.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    indeed, it sands off very quickly and easily. No problem at all if you want to re-apply oil. If you'd wanted to paint it would be best to check with people who know what they are doing but I've sanded off my oil finish and re-applied it with no problems so I'm speaking from experience on this point. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 814
    What grit sandpaper would I use?
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    The way I do these things, I would start with 120 grit and once the bulk of the oil has been removed, finish off with 240 or 320 before staining and re-oiling.

You will need to check and refresh the sandpaper frequently at first.  The cured oil gums up the paper a bit like wax.  If it builds up on the paper, lumps can create grooves in the neck as you are sanding.  You can try wire brushing it off the paper but it's easier to just use a fresh piece.  It isn't long before you are past this stage and into cleaner wood.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

As an option, would it be possible to tint further tru-oil coats an amber colour to avoid the need to remove old finish?

Adam

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I used Srewfix Paint Stripper on a Tru Oiled body...worked a treat....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SargeSarge Frets: 2393
    Kalimna said:

As an option, would it be possible to tint further tru-oil coats an amber colour to avoid the need to remove old finish?

Adam

Yes, but only using spirit based tints and getting an even colour when wiping it on is really tricky. 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Fair enough - ive used tru oil a few times, and know it has a slight amber tint anyway, and wondered if that could be extended. 

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 814
    Thanks guys for all your helpful comments...