Watch advice

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8537
Time (natch) for a new watch.

I buy a watch, wear it to bits for 2 to 3 years, then buy another as it’s either broken or I’m bored with it.
Needs to be something versatile that I can wear with smart work cloths, and also kicking around the weekends.
Looking for a clean modern but classic look.
Needs to be quartz as I can’t be doing with winding or charging, I really don’t take care of them, and unlike guitar related stuff, I’m not a purist.
Budget £400-ish

Very out of touch with what’s hip, my last watch was a Hamilton and perfectly good, what other brands should I be looking at before I default to a Hamilton Jazzmaster?

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26945
    Hamilton is good. Go for automatic (if self-winding) rather than quartz. It'll never stop if you wear it at least every other day.

I like the Khaki Field range a lot for that budget - not too big, and can easily be dressed up or down easily. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    That looks nice, why go auto instead of quartz out of interest.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6900
    edited April 2019
    Tissot Visodate gets you clean and classic - maybe not modern. As above you’ll not need to wind if worn regularly, 

I miss mine - I tend  to wear my Apple watch these days. I honestly don’t think there’s a better looking watch in this style for £400 or probably 10 times that amount.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    Because a good auto is bomb proof. No battery, no winding needed unless you leave it off your wrist for more than a couple of days. Just no hassle, basically. And the knowledge of all the clever engineering keeping it going.

They also have a much nicer sweep of the second hand, rather than the once-a-second tick of a quartz.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    edited April 2019
    I've fancied a Nite watch for a while. They offer some really nice designs, and in-terms of flexibility they're reasonably all-rounded too. They're also made in the UK.

https://www.nitewatches.com/gb/

I've gotta say, that Marquess model is very tempting...
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    dindude said:
    Because a good auto is bomb proof. No battery, no winding needed unless you leave it off your wrist for more than a couple of days. Just no hassle, basically. And the knowledge of all the clever engineering keeping it going.

They also have a much nicer sweep of the second hand, rather than the once-a-second tick of a quartz.

Totally agree. I was sceptical initially but I haven't wound my auto once since I got it in feb
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    beed84 said:
    I've fancied a Nite watch for a while. They offer some really nice designs, and in-terms of flexibility they're reasonably all-rounded too. They're also made in the UK.

https://www.nitewatches.com/gb/

I've gotta say, that Marquess model is very tempting...
    That looks very nice, def not uk made though, uk designed. See that with the offer code a marquess would be £200! Tempting....
    That is a shitload to pay for a quartz watch imo. Brand-snobbery aside, they have a cheap Rhonda movement and are really super-generic. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited April 2019
    That is a shitload to pay for a quartz watch imo. Brand-snobbery aside, they have a cheap Rhonda movement and are really super-generic. 

Forgive my ignorance but provided the movement keeps time does it matter what one it is? 

I agree on the nite watch, though, not a fan... I like these. Smart and clean looking, self charging (not an automatic, but mine has kept excellent time) and good value. The catch is the movement doesn't take into account days in each month (mine is slightly different in that it has one date for the day and another for the date of the month, eg, Sunday 5th). 

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-citizen-eco-drive-watch-bm8240-11a-p99952857.html

I find most watches, particularly expensive ones, to be incredibly showy - big, too many faces, hands, bezels and other nonsense I don't need but there are some watch heads on here who love them and can give some really interesting history behind the many things on them  I'd like a nice automatic one day. 

Forgive my ignorance but provided the movement keeps time does it matter what one it is? 

I agree on the nite watch, though, not a fan... I like these. Smart and clean looking, self charging (not an automatic, but mine has kept excellent time) and good value. The catch is the movement doesn't take into account days in each month (mine is slightly different in that it has one date for the day and another for the date of the month, eg, Sunday 5th). 

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-citizen-eco-drive-watch-bm8240-11a-p99952857.html

I find most watches, particularly expensive ones, to be incredibly showy - big, too many faces, hands, bezels and other nonsense I don't need but there are some watch heads on here who love them and can give some really interesting history behind the many things on them  I'd like a nice automatic one day. 

No, not necessarily. But equally I wouldn't want to pay over the odds for something with a £10 movement. It's vaguely analogous to buying a  £1000 guitar with cheap ceramic pickups - it'll play music just fine, but you're overpaying and could get something better for the money. 

I agree with you on "most watches", though possibly not the same ones. I'm a fan of the classics - Speedmaster, Submariner, simple pilot's watches, etc, but not all the blingy gold, diamond, shiny crap you get on a lot of high end stuff.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    That's just about enough money to buy a decent secondhand Ebel wave (mixed metal )
    They were an 80s / 90s classic right up there with Cartier and Rolex at the time as a prestige brand.
    They make very low prices now and are a huge amount of prestige watch for the money.
     It's like going out and buying a new Nissan v a moderate Classic Car
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Iamnobody said:
    Tissot Visodate gets you clean and classic - maybe not modern. As above you’ll not need to wind if worn regularly, 

I miss mine - I tend  to wear my Apple watch these days. I honestly don’t think there’s a better looking watch in this style for £400 or probably 10 times that amount.

Why the fuck have they ruined their logo?! 
    joneve said:
    Iamnobody said:

1) that's a vast improvement on the regular Tissot logo, 
    2) it's only for the Visodate. All their other models still get the boring normal one
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    I've got 2 x Hamilton watches - Like them - Like the simplicity of how they look - But the straps are crap - Not had 2 years out of a strap yet and that is alternating between 2 watches - So in reality the strap lasts a year
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I have one of these - £280

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I know my Citizen isn't posh but it's an auto winder and managed about 8 years so far without stopping. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Better Still ,I have a plan............
     Use the £400 to buy a moped and a flick knife ........then go and get a Free Rolex Daytona  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6900
    joneve said:
    Iamnobody said:

1) that's a vast improvement on the regular Tissot logo, 
    2) it's only for the Visodate. All their other models still get the boring normal one
    It’s based on the logo used in the 50s - I like it!

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Is a Merci too retro for you? 250-400 euros, lots of strap styles, choice of quartz or auto too.

https://i.imgur.com/WLTgbn6.jpg

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I could do with a new everyday watch and thought about another Hamilton.   Looking at used Tag Heuer as well for some reason.  

I also prefer an automatic as i hate having to faff with batteries and like the smother movement.  

Whats the general view on sizes these days - I’d normally go for around 42-44 but see lots of 38mm for sale.